• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aleutian Tern in New South Wales (1 Viewer)

sicklebill

well-known Cretaceous relic
Australia
13 at Old Bar near Taree yesterday, in non-breeding plumage which is very little known. First record fro Australia apart from one seen at the same spot last year and as yet unsubmitted. I attach a few pix, and one with what I think is a White-fronted Tern in front of 3 Aleutians.
Thoughts on the White-fronted appreciated as it's a late sighting here

Attachments

• DSC01634.jpg
    DSC01634.jpg
    345 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC01604.jpg
    DSC01604.jpg
    290.3 KB · Views: 169
  • DSC01605.jpg
    DSC01605.jpg
    302.9 KB · Views: 82
Hi Notcracker,
That's a good point, but I see some pix of winter plumage Common Terns with dark bars, not labelled as first winter, maybe one of the gull and tern experts can help here (?Lou). I suspect some of the Aleutians are first winter as they had the dark bars on the carpals and a rather mottled mantle, but others did not. Most were in heavy primary moult and looked quite ragged. It would be useful to know, thanks

Pretty sure the dark bar can still be present in 2 year old terns (Common at least), so you could be dealing with 1st and 2nd winter birds (that's why I just used non-committal 'immature' above!); unfortunately, I've no idea if winter adult terns can also show it, as that's a plumage I never see up here . . .

Although distinctive enough when you focus on them, they could easily get missed so I wonder whether now that they're 'on the radar' in Oz there will be an increase in reports ....

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back