• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All Bactra species? (Cumbria, UK) (1 Viewer)

gillean55

Hello

These three micros were all found at Orton Moss to the south of Carlisle yesterday no more than 10m apart. They were all in a woodland glade in an area that's very boggy for at least 6 months of the year. For what it's worth, my best estimate lengths (from palp tip to wing tip) were (1) 10.0, (2) 11.5 and (3) 9.5mm.

Would I be right in thinking that they are all Bactra species? I was hoping at the time that item 3 might be something else, but I've since read that some of them have unicolorous forms, so perhaps not.

According to S&P the habitat only suits furfurana and lancealana, but I don't know whether this can be used to definitively rule out lacteana and robustana.

It's a bit of a longshot, but is it possible to identify any of these down to species level from these photos?

Thanks

Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5400 cr ed 2000 cr.jpg
    IMG_5400 cr ed 2000 cr.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5418 ed 2000 cr.jpg
    IMG_5418 ed 2000 cr.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5444 cr ed 2000 cr.jpg
    IMG_5444 cr ed 2000 cr.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 7
My books imply gen det needed to get to species. They certainly look very similar.
Which probably doesn't help much :(

Thanks, Rubia.

I'd been pinning my hopes on the third one, as I thought it might either be from a different genus, or that it was perhaps distinctive enough to be indicative of a particular Bactra species. However, I now doubt that either of these things are true, and so I'll just concede defeat and label them all as Bactra sp!

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back