• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

All things Osprey (1 Viewer)

Hi Chris,

Thanks, that lot are going to keep me busy when I can get on line that is, I can rarely get a connection to the net at night. I must phone AOL I am sure there are just too many people on line.

Ann :t:

A CHAPLIN said:
Hi Chris,

Thanks, that lot are going to keep me busy when I can get on line that is, I can rarely get a connection to the net at night. I must phone AOL I am sure there are just too many people on line.

Ann :t:

I'm glad you find this of some interest Ann.

I thought I'd create some single raptor species threads to stop myself adding items all over Birdforum in a piecemeal fashion.

I am following all the Osprey threads with interest as usual this year! :bounce:

Good luck with your broadband connection.

Osprey Returns After His 2,500-mile Flight

OSPREY RETURNS AFTER HIS 2,500-MILE FLIGHT

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co....uleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

BY NADEEM HANIF

10:30 - 29 March 2007

A loverboy bird of prey has returned to a nature reserve after spending the winter in the warm African sun.

Wildlife experts are delighted to see the osprey has made the 2,500-mile journey from West Africa and is now busily preparing his nest at Rutland Water.

So far he has helped to raise 12 chicks since he first bred at the reserve in 2001 and conservationists hope he is the first of several to return in the coming days.

The bird, known as "03", was among 64 released at Rutland Water between 1996 and 2001 as part of a project to re-establish the osprey population.

Before the project, the birds had not been seen in the skies of Rutland and Leicestershire for more than 150 years.

Tim Mackrill, osprey project officer, said: "It's fantastic to see 03 back at his nest site again.

"He has raised 12 chicks since he first bred in 2001, so he really is our star bird and we're delighted to see his safe return."

Bitterly cold northerly winds and unseasonal snow storms in northern Spain had made life difficult for migrating birds and 03's arrival was two days later than last year.

Mr Mackrill, said: "It is a very long and difficult journey particularly across the Sahara desert and many don't make it.

"He has been busy refurbishing his nest in preparation for the return of his mate, which could be any day now."

To encourage more ospreys, staff at the reserve have been building artificial nests around the site.

Mr Mackrill said: "We are delighted with how the project overall is progressing and are well on the way to making ospreys a common sight in Rutland and Leicestershire.

"The birds are fish eaters and visitors are likely to see them hunting on the water."

Since 2001, 14 chicks have been born and, for the first time, last summer two of the chicks returned from their winter migration.

The birds will spend the summer in Rutland before migrating back to Africa in mid-September.

Anglian Water is jointly running the initiative with the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trust.

Nest bid to lure breeding ospreys

Nest bid to lure breeding ospreys

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/6588625.stm

The wildlife trust hopes to attract some breeding ospreys
A wildlife group has built a 50ft tall bird's nest from sticks and wire in an attempt to attract a pair of breeding ospreys to mid Wales.
It has also daubed its creation with white paint imitating bird droppings, so the birds will think it is an established nesting site.

Montgomeryshire Wildlife Trust (MWT) came up with the idea for its Morfa Dyfi nature reserve near Machynlleth.

Ospreys have been seen regularly in the area in recent years, said the trust.

It said it hoped the man-made nest will give breeding ospreys a head start.

Called a nesting platform, it has been placed among trees on the Morfa Dyfi reserve, which spans more than 40 acres.

It is built from sticks, held together with wire and attached to the end of a 50ft telegraph pole donated by energy company, Scottish Power.

Volunteers helped build the osprey nest

The wildlife trust explained why paint has been added.

Conservation officer Clive Faulkner said: "The paint is added to emulate bird droppings, and will encourage ospreys to think that the nest is an established site."

Tony Senior, the trust's reserves officer, said volunteers had helped build the nesting platform, and that ospreys liked that "lived-in" look when it came to nests.

Meanwhile, a herd of water buffalo at the neighbouring Cors Dyfi reserve has increased from three to 10.

The animals are helping to maintain the area by eating scrub, gorse, birch and willow - a diet native cows would refuse to eat.

Earlier this month, a pair of ospreys returned to breed in Gwynedd for the fifth year running, and laid three eggs.

The birds, which breed at the Aberglaslyn site near Porthmadog, are thought to be Wales' only nesting pair.

Ospreys set to hatch England's rarest egg

Ospreys set to hatch England's rarest egg

100 volunteers guard breeding wild birds and their reservoir nest

Juliette Jowit
Sunday May 13, 2007
The Observer - http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...078579,00.html

Eggs from the first wild ospreys to breed in England for more than 150 years are about to hatch. Ten years ago, a project began to release dozens of young ospreys into the wild and now the first offspring is incubating eggs, which it is hoped will hatch in early June.

This will be a happy ending for the father, one of the first birds to be released, who has spent a decade looking for a mate.

Project organisers now hope the mating ospreys will continue to breed for the next few years, and will eventually be joined by their chicks. 'We aim to establish a self-sustaining colony,' said Tim Mackrill, the project officer. 'The birds can then spread out across England.'

The Rutland Water Osprey Project was launched in 1996 and the expectant father, tagged 08(97), was one of the first birds released into the wild at the Leicestershire reservoir the following year. He migrated 2,500 miles to West Africa and spent two years establishing a perch there.

He came back to Rutland in 1999, and began years of fruitless searching for a mate, despite preening his nest every spring and wooing several females. Last summer, 08 finally won the attentions of 5N, one of just 14 chicks in Rutland born and 'fledged' in the wild. At just two, she was too young to breed last year, but in April she returned and 08 took up the romance again, dangling trout from his talons while he swooped and cooed over his nest.

For a week, 08 courted his female with fish to show his prowess as a mate and father; then they began breeding and 5N began decorating the nest - now more than a metre square - with grass and hay.

In late April, the project team, set up by Anglian Water and the Leicestershire and Rutland Wildlife Trusts, finally discovered they were incubating possibly three eggs. Volunteers are now keeping 24-hour watch on the nest. And 08 is proving an attentive father - or maybe he is simply lazy.

'He's done much more incubation than normal,' said Mackrill. 'Quite often the female will have to push him off the eggs and press him to go off and get fish.'

If the chicks hatch, they will spend two months learning to fly and fish, by which time they will be at 70 per cent of their adult body weight. They will then set off alone on their own migration to West Africa for two years, before - the team hopes - they return to Rutland and start finding mates of their own.

If enough survive, they could soon start spreading out to find new nests and breeding grounds around the country - wherever they can find fish.

Ospreys were once common across the country but by the 1840s were driven near to extinction by hunting and loss of habitat. Mackrill said: 'We feel because it was man's influence that caused the original extinction we should do everything we can to bring them back.'

· Members of the public who would like to see the ospreys can visit Lyndon Reserve at Rutland Water (open daily, 9am-5pm)

When are the welsh birds expected back at glaslyn? When is a good time to go and see them baring in mind I don't like crowds!

I saw an Osprey this morning 15/02/08 just North of Loch Leven,maybe this uncharacteristic warm weather is upsetting migration times,as we don't normally see them 'til the end of March

I saw an Osprey this morning 15/02/08 just North of Loch Leven,maybe this uncharacteristic warm weather is upsetting migration times,as we don't normally see them 'til the end of March

Blimey thats early.
Hope it can survive the cold weather thats coming. The fish will be deep until the water wrms up methinks.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back