• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha binoculars (1 Viewer)

Which alpha binoculars are your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

qwerty5

Controversial opinion generator
United States
Just curious what your personal favorite alphas are. This is not confined to optics alone, but also ergonomics, ease of use etc. Basically, which alphas give you the most joy to use? This is purely for my curiosity. I'm sure I missed some great alphas so if you choose "Other" please tell which in discussion.

Disclaimer: the results of this poll should not be factored into any binocular buying decision.

I presume you are referring to actual use, as in looking through them, as opposed to reading spec sheets, looking at advertising, and reading forum posts.

That kind of "favorite"?

SLC are best in terms of optics and value. From there the concept of diminishing returns comes into play.
ELs and SFs are at same level but for different reasons. SF has better optics but ELs build quality is little better.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's hard to make a choice... If we take purely optical characteristics, then for me it is EL 10x50FP. But, going down to x42, I would call the best 8x42HT and 8x42 SLC WB. For the x32, I don't see any competitors for the FL series... I voted for EL, only because you can't choose multiple brands )

Tough one. I went with Ultravids as my vote. My 7x42s are wonderful. I also really like the SLC 15x56s and the NL 10x42s.

As n increases and this poll becomes more statistically significant, it will be interesting to see if there is any similarity to the market share distribution.

As n increases and this poll becomes more statistically significant, it will be interesting to see if there is any similarity to the market share distribution.
Where does one find market share distribution info?
I think that after the NL's are out for a while, the number of people who would vote for them would increase quite a bit, and the number of EL votes would drop.

Where does one find market share distribution info?
I think that after the NL's are out for a while, the number of people who would vote for them would increase quite a bit, and the number of EL votes would drop.
I was thinking more in terms of manufacturer rather than model.

Dealers have a pretty good idea of what outsells what, they see it every day.

So far the results haven't really surprised me, except that the Ultravids have more votes than the Noctivids. I expected the Swarovski popularity, and the ELs being on top.

The possibly surprising thing is the NL, which has been out a year or less, coming in already at #2 (tied anyway with SF). That really says something about its qualities (and the pockets of BF members).

What's missing is the Canon 10x42 IS. Alpha optics plus stabilisation.

Hermann
I can't have any more than 10 options for some reason. Also the Canon isn't really a widespread alpha. I'm not disputing its quality, but it isn't in widespread use.

I find Meopta B 1 top class as well as some Nikon models.
Gijs van Ginkel
I know there are many other binoculars that compete quite well, I just didn't have room in this poll for them. I actually was going to put the Meopta B1+ and Vortex Razor UHD in the poll but there wasn't room.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back