• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpha binoculars (1 Viewer)

Which alpha binoculars are your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The B1 is a premium glass, however the price of its predecessors, B1.1, B1 plus are now elevated. The B1 was a great value at the earlier prices.

Also the Canon isn't really a widespread alpha. I'm not disputing its quality, but it isn't in widespread use.
Looking at the numbers of votes in your poll to date, and taking into account the number of users on BF who have outed themselves as Canon 10*42 converts, it would appear that votes for this model could potentially match or eclipse the 3 votes for HTs or Noctivid respectively, or the 4 votes for EDGs. Even though they are a single binocular model only, while the others are all "families" of bins.

I am not too sure whether their perceived rarity really is a good reason not to list them by name here either. They have been produced for many years, not in huge numbers, but steadily. And some of the other bins in your line-up aren't maybe that common either: there don't seem to be large numbers of EDGs, (see Tobias Mennle's writings, his own "new" recently purchased EDG 8x42 had a serial number in the 900s). HTs don't seem common among birders, and Noctivids - are they really that common?

Canon is a camera company primarily, along with their professional optics, office, copiers, etc.,. Their binocular sales are very small, it is just a token
part of their business. They are not regarded as Alpha optics.

Jerry

New to my Noctivids, but it’s my favorite to date. I’ve owned Meopta HD, EL SV, FL, SLC, Ultravid HD, and 2012-2015 Trinovid. I wish the Noctivid kept the UV diopter adjuster, the one they used is good, the UV is just better in my opinion. I feel like the Leica provides a truer rendition of colors (for my eyes). Best (smoothest) focuser of all I’ve used. Leica has been consistently better across all I’ve owned. When using binos, this gets used a lot and some of the Swarovski I’ve had was more coarse, different force in each direction.

Leica knows how to put together a sexy binocular. The sleek black armor, compact dimensions, and just feel solid in your hand. It’s followed by excellent image too.

I voted for the SF's, because I use them more often (the 8x32 & 8x42) than the Noctivid and the El. In Summer with foliage abundant, the 10x42 Noctivids are less useful than an 8x bin (for me). The 8 x32's are for when I carry a scope. My wife generally uses the the 8x32 ELs, but I will use them whenever convenient. So, its the best tool for the job at hand, and less about one being objectively better overall for me. There are many excellent binoculars to choose from.

I will say that an 8 or 10 x 42 I find to be a more accommodating fit than an 8x32, but a good 8x32 always earns its keep.

-Bill

What you need is a "world cup of binoculars" knockout format. Then you could have as many models / polls as you like, preferably in multiples of 1,2,4,8,16,32...!
1 poll a day, include criteria to vote on etc.

But perhaps a bit pointless, as most people don't have experience of many models

Canon is a camera company primarily, along with their professional optics, office, copiers, etc.,. Their binocular sales are very small, it is just a token
part of their business. They are not regarded as Alpha optics.
"They are not regarded as Alpha optics" - by whom? You left that out making your statement universal. The beauty of passive constructions.

Kimmo, Etudiant, and quite a few others would heartily disagree.

Hermann

part of their business.

Jerry

Brilliant argument!

insert "Nikon" instead of "Canon", and exclude the EDG
insert "Zeiss" instead of "Canon" and "is a large company with many business interests which by far outstrip their binocular business , and exclude their glass
insert "Swarovski" and "crystal" etc.........

Извинявам се за превода. но новият Swarovski 8x42NL Pure е много остър, ясен, прозрачен .. широк, леко гледащ .. много контрастен на хоризонта .. живи цветове, 3D .. Стабилен с FRP ... просто никой друг бинокъл не е толкова стабилен .. С правилно поставих очила, погледнах близо до слънцето ... нямаше отблясъци .. много хубав бинокъл.

Извинявам се за превода. но новият Swarovski 8x42NL Pure е много остър, ясен, прозрачен .. широк, леко гледащ .. много контрастен на хоризонта .. живи цветове, 3D .. Стабилен с FRP ... просто никой друг бинокъл не е толкова стабилен .. С правилно поставих очила, погледнах близо до слънцето ... нямаше отблясъци .. много хубав бинокъл.
bockos: "I apologize for the translation. but the new Swarovski 8x42NL Pure is very sharp, clear, transparent .. wide, easy view .. very contrasting on the horizon .. vivid colors, 3D .. Stable with FRP ... just no other binoculars are so stable .. With proper [?] I put on my glasses, looked close to the sun ... there was no glare ... very nice binoculars."

4 the birds1, I would not get all bent about this poll. It is obvious that you enjoy your Canons, and that is great, however what I have learned from this forum is - it does not reflect opinions of the large users of optics world wide.

4 the birds1, I would not get all bent about this poll. It is obvious that you enjoy your Canons, and that is great, however what I have learned from this forum is - it does not reflect opinions of the large users of optics world wide.
You put my thoughts on this into words. The "Other" option is for those less popular binoculars. If BirdForum would let me put more than 10 options, I would put the Canons (and some others) in.

Thanks very much for the kind words of support. On the whole, I am feeling alright.
Just help me out with the definition of what exactly constitutes a "large user of optics"?

4 days left until the poll closes and the Zeiss SFs are in the lead. The NL Pures finally passed the ELs. The Ultravids have more votes than the Noctivids, which is interesting given that the Noctivids are Leica's top model.

I voted Victory SF, but if I could vote for TWO choices, they would be Victory SF and Ultravid HD Plus. I would actually rank them pretty much equal, in my experience - each having some qualities that the other doesn't have. Neither is clearly "better" - they're just different.

That said... there are many awesome choices and favorites pretty much come down to preferences and different people just have different preferences. There is no "one" winner in this race.... there are numerous winners, regardless of how the poll numbers turn out.

I voted Victory SF, but if I could vote for TWO choices, they would be Victory SF and Ultravid HD Plus. I would actually rank them pretty much equal, in my experience - each having some qualities that the other doesn't have. Neither is clearly "better" - they're just different.

That said... there are many awesome choices and favorites pretty much come down to preferences and different people just have different preferences. There is no "one" winner in this race.... there are numerous winners, regardless of how the poll numbers turn out.
I agree 100%. That's why this poll is useless for anything except personal curiosity. All the alphas have different qualities, so it all comes down to personal preference. That's why looking through binoculars before you buy is so important.

I agree 100%. That's why this poll is useless for anything except personal curiosity. All the alphas have different qualities, so it all comes down to personal preference. That's why looking through binoculars before you buy is so important.
Right on, qwerty5!

It's so "first-world problems", really, to complain about ANY of today's production of alpha-grade bins. Even the $1000 near-alphas are amazing binoculars!

The Zeiss Victory SF (18) takes gold! The Swarovski EL (14) comes in at second, followed closely by the Swarovski NL Pure (13). The Leica Ultravid (11) comes in 4th, while the Leica Noctivid (8) takes 5th place.

Although Swarovski (34) didn't receive the most votes for an individual model, they received more total votes than their competitors. Zeiss (28) was second, and Leica (19) came in 3rd.

Again, I will stress that this poll is completely useless for anything except personal curiosity. Do not factor this poll into any buying decision.

Preach Brother. We live in a golden age of binoculars. E.G., one of our fair dinkum BF Legends has today in another thread mentioned regular use and enjoyment, inter alia, of a Zeiss bin from 1938. --Repeat, this is no typo, "1938"--. Let us therefore continue to joyfully confer, converse, consort and otherwise hobnob on the glory of all worthy glass currently available, whatever the price or vintage.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back