• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpine swift or swallow? Baltic Coast, NW Poland 25.10.2020 (1 Viewer)

Ryszard

Hi

Sorry for the poor photos. I saw the bird from a distance and against the Sun, which is why there is such discepancy in size assessment.

Attachments

• RSCN7587.JPG
    RSCN7587.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 133
  • RSCN7586.JPG
    RSCN7586.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 114
  • RSCN7590.JPG
    RSCN7590.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 67
  • RSCN7589.JPG
    RSCN7589.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 123
  • RSCN7588.JPG
    RSCN7588.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 42
Photo 2 vaguely reminiscent of a pratincole, photo 4 with some imagination could be a sandgrouse, other photos could be whatever you fancy them to be :) I think it is safe to say that an identity is going to be difficult to ascertain on these photos.

Thanks a lot Jos!!!
I know that the pictures are massacred, but I was hoping that you could say something about this bird in shape like you did. I feel that it could be a mega bird. An hour before taking these pictures I photographed Apus pallidus. In case of acceptance it will be the 5th statement in Poland. I will add that the first statement is also mine;)

Photo 2 vaguely reminiscent of a pratincole, photo 4 with some imagination could be a sandgrouse, other photos could be whatever you fancy them to be :) I think it is safe to say that an identity is going to be difficult to ascertain on these photos.

Exactly my thought but photos like this are simply not ID'able.

Exactly my thought but photos like this are simply not ID'able.

my thought too! as to pic 4 I am almost sure it is a flying manta ray:king:
still agree with Ryszard that it is always worth trying to find help on BF

Attachments

• 1C7FAAFA-409E-4235-828A-8C19E99F8555.jpg
    1C7FAAFA-409E-4235-828A-8C19E99F8555.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 32
Barn swallow-bingo!!
I think it could be this bird. You can see on some pictures a black collar on the neck.

Thanks again

In the photo from post number 2 you can see a dark collar on the neck.

It looks like it could be a Ringed Plover to me (and probably more likely than some of the suggestions would be on the Baltic coast at the end of October!) but as everyone (with very diverse suggestions!) concludes, very unidentifiable !

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back