• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alpirsbach Black Forest (1 Viewer)

Kevin Wade

Spain
Hi all
I will be spending a few nights in Alpirsbach on a family holiday at the end of July this year. Can anyone recommend any nearby locations that I could visit to catch up with some of the species that don't occur down here in the south of Spain?
Many thanks

Hi, a good area not too far from Alpirsbach is the upper ridges of Nordschwarzwald, around Hornisgrinde and Wildsee (the area has been declared a National Park recently). A nice walk is to Wildsee starting from the parking at Ruhestein. Nutcracker and Ring Ouzel should be easy there. Citril Finch and Three-toed Woodpecker need more luck. Capercaille is also there, but you need to be very lucky.

This guide covers quite a few sites in the Black Forest:

http://www.amazon.de/Vögel-beobacht...4-4385569?ie=UTF8&refRID=0K4EGSKT0X4SZMV169VP

It is in German, but the maps and some online translation should get you most info. Quite a few pages are dedicated to Alpine Swift, Bee-eater and Rock Bunting, which I guess won't be high on your priority list :)

I think the book is not very helpful.
There are described some areas around Feldberg. Between Hotel Feldberger Hof and Seebuck is place for citril finch. Woodpeckers around lake Feldsee.
East of the lake in the Fagus forest Wood Warbler. Around the lake also Peregrine. Feldberg mountain is about 100 km away from the place where you will stay.
Alpine Swift is in Freiburg in the centre e.g near St. Martin church, but not easy to find in this time.
Little Owl is much farer away in Ludwigsburg noth of Stuttgart.
Baden Wuertemberg has 15 % of Middle Spotted Woodpecker population of Germany, but I would look in March und April for them.
In the forest Eichwald south east of Muehlheim about 30 km south of Freiburg is one recommended place.
Also Grey -headed and Black Woodpecker should be there and Stock Dove.

Last edited:
In the forest Eichwald south east of Muehlheim about 30 km south of Freiburg is one recommended place.
Also Grey -headed and Black Woodpecker should be there and Stock Dove.
Thanks albatross!

Why you think so?
I think it is very good. Ok, its only in German, but it contains very good site info and maps on all sites mentioned by yourself and also the one i described a ove.

In the book is just one map of forest Schwarzwald.
We can read this, but mostly no foreigners rather not.

Better idea check ornitho.de for actual bird reports.
There is also maps with zoom functionality.
If you need help, please let me know.
I did the same in Italy. 3 people I contacted, one of them helped. But this one give excellent informations.
Write down the names in your own language and in german language, in case if You will meet german birders.
Just insert spanish, english or latin name in the yellow box.
http://www.orniwelt.de/content/Vogelnamen-Uebersetzer.html

contact of ornitological society of federal country Baden Wuertemberg is another option:
[email protected]

Or nature club Naturbund Freiburg ( next big town near forest Schwarzwald )
[email protected]

In the book is just one map of forest Schwarzwald.
We can read this, but mostly no foreigners rather not.

Well, I agree, the language is an obstacle, or may be one. But the book is a good one, the best (or only?) resources for birding sites in Germany available on purchase. So I wouldn't state that it is not useful. It is useful, let the visitor decide if he can get along with German or not.
And the maps are uasable without German knowledge. Besides one map on the Feldberg (southern Black Forest), there are five maps on northern black forest (Hornisgrinde, Wildsee, etc.)

Sorry for that, now I am unstanding. I did not saw page 124, where are another helpful maps. I was suprised to by a book just for one map, it was my fault.
Buy the way the 3 books of Christoph Moning and Christian Wagner, which I meet from time to time ( Christian Wagner one week ago ) more or less the unique really helpful books for birdwatchers in Germany.
3 books are
Vogelbeobachten in Sueddeutschland
Vogelbeobachten in Ostdeutschland
Vogelbeobachten in Norddeutschland

Both authors are very helpful, which is unusual for German birders. I am in the same google group like them.

Last edited:
Vogelbeobachten in Sueddeutschland
Vogelbeobachten in Ostdeutschland
Vogelbeobachten in Norddeutschland

Yes, good books indeed. I think they should make an english version, maybe a single guide with the best sites, or the sites most interesting for visiting birders. Shame there is nothing decent for visitors

Regards, Florian (another helpful German birder ;) )

I offered the author to help to translate the books into english.
But they have no time now.
In this time the working situation for me is to difficult to do this on my own steam.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back