• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Alternative to Paramo Velez Smock (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm considering getting a smock as opposed to a jacket to use for wildlife photography. Unfortunately the piggy bank won't run to a Paramo so any other suggestions for suitable and cheaper jackets please e.g. Hoggs of Fife, Struther. Ideally needs to be waterproof, wind proof and not feel like you're wearing a bin liner after 10 minutes walking.

I know the cheapest option is army surplus but I just don't do camouflage

Any recommendations please

Smocks are a specialty product to begin with. Your requirements eliminate the really cheap options.
Maybe consider a long overcoat, even though that sacrifices much of the flexibility which is the really compelling feature of the smock.

Buffalo kit is not waterproof. It will slow down the ingress of water like an old fashioned tweed jacket will. If you are walking and exerting yourself the evaporation from your body can balance the incoming rain, but if you are sat still or it is chucking it down then the water will get in and you will need a hard shell.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back