• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amazed at the Customer Care from Vortex (1 Viewer)

Barbican1987

United Kingdom
I bought a pair of second hand Vortex Spitfire 8.5x32 Vortex but they didn't have a case or strap. I contacted Vortex to ask where I could get a new case etc expecting to pay for them but today I received a parcel completely out of the blue from Vortex containing a new case and straps for the case as well straps for the the binos. Looking at the postage label it looks a though it came directly from the USA!! The postage cost alone is substantial so I was suitably impressed. Well done Vortex.. That is the sort of service which develops loyalty. If only that had arrived a few days ago I might have ordered a new pair of Vortex binos but I bought Viking ED FF 8x42 pair as they were a good price end of stock. I hasten to add I live in the UK.

I have used Vortex customer support on one occasion.
I lost the end caps when I was using the bins with a tripod adapter.
Emailed Vortex and the they sent me four, foc all the way from the the USA.

NewproUK (Vortex official distributor for UK) have bent over backwards in the past to make things right for me... I have only good things to say about them.

Last edited:
In sharp contrast to Zeiss, who couldn't be bothered to reply to my email regarding eyecups.
Maybe they had a bad day, I don't know.
My personal account: I have contacted Zeiss customer service several times (I write to them directly) and always got a reply. I've requested information on second hand binoculars I was planning on buying, I've returned brand new binoculars with a fault (I once bought a pair of Conquest HD and there was a tiny hair in one of the objectives), I've sent binoculars in for inspection, requested parts, etc. I have to say that in my case the response has always been beyond reproach, impeccable. Actually, I once had a very similar case to the OP: I misplaced the tethered objective covers of a Victory FL and contacted them. They sent me a pair all the way from Germany free of charge in a record time (the same I've had with Swarovski, Steiner or Meopta).

Last edited:
I've had a MIJ Vortex Viper 10x42 for about 14 years.
Bought them new.
Recently, thanks to one of the members here, I was able to upgrade to a Tract Toric 10x42.

Very timely, because the Vipers were overdue for a rest. I sensed the barrels were a bit out of alignment and the focuser was getting rough and inconsistent. Since I was busy playing with the new Tract, I was willing to send the Vipers in. I mailed them to the warranty factory on June 10th.
They were returned June 29th.
It was almost like a new pair....except of course these are MIJ,...so it really was my pair. Here is the note included:

"Description:

Vortex 10x42 Viper HD - Replaced eyecup assemblies. Replaced chassis. Replaced focus wheel. Secured Oculars. Performed focal and alignment
integrity tests and adjustments to restore optimal function and performance. Sealed and purged with Ar. gas. Conducted inspection of body, lenses,
seals and mechanisms for irregularities affecting performance. Cleaned body and lenses. Thank you for choosing Vortex.
No charge. Scott H. "

They are now hitting on all cylinders again and are a pleasure to use. If it wasn't for the ever-so-slightly brighter view from the Tracts,
the Viper would be my go-to pair.

Well done Vortex.

Last edited:
I recently fell down a small hill in the snow and broke the tripod ring of my Razor HD spotting scope. I sent it in to Vortex and had it back in my hands about two weeks later. I had heard good things about Vortex's customer care, which is a large part of why I purchased this scope, but I was beyond happy to experience it for myself.

You should not be surprised if you need service from your Vortex. They use cheap China labor to produce their binoculars, and then
they hope but do not plan for a planned percentage of problems. Then they just have you return and they send you an new one. They do not
usually fix, but just replace. It is a numbers game.

I have not been a fan of Vortex, they have never made an optic, they are just a clone copier, as are many other companies.

You should not be surprised if you need service from your Vortex. They use cheap China labor to produce their binoculars, and then
they hope but do not plan for a planned percentage of problems. Then they just have you return and they send you an new one. They do not
usually fix, but just replace. It is a numbers game.

I have not been a fan of Vortex, they have never made an optic, they are just a clone copier, as are many other companies.
We've been here before, and my answer is the same. What you say doesn't make any sense.

I've had great luck with Vortex CS. I only own one pair of their binoculars that I bought many years ago on close-out. Last year, I sent them in due to a couple of small issues. Came back to me a couple weeks later in better shape than when new. They have also replaced hinged objective caps when the rubber on the hinge rotted. No charge to me for any of this.

Adding to my previous post. I sent my pre-owned Spitfires 7x35 back under their Lifetime Warranty to Vortex distributer in UK because the diopter was almost impossible to adjust, after a few months wait I received a brand new pair of Diamondback 8x32!! Amazing warranty.

Oh and by the way. Not all Vortex binos are made in China as mentioned in someone's post on Vortex QC. Some were manufactured in Japan which is renowned for quality optics.

I called them about a tripod socket plug that was stuck. They gave me some advice and said if it didn't work they would send me another. Brilliant, as you Brits say.

Not expensive bought a Vortex 10x42 UHD from a friend. These binoculars have been with him hunting in harsh conditions for many years.
This binoculars friend did not spare. From the merciless exploitation, many shortcomings have gathered in it.
From the hinge to the loose eyecups. There is also damage to the outer objective lens. The appearance is very shabby.
I turned to a Ukrainian dealer for help. He refused me a free repair.
I wrote to Vortex via Facebook. I was immediately provided with the data to whom to contact ...
The next day my binoculars flew to the UK service center for a FREE FULL restoration to new condition!
Bravo Vortex!

And customer care aside, their bins are brilliant, wether they are made in Japan or China. I tried my Vortex Razor 10x42 against Nikon MHG, Zeiss Conquest, and Swarovski SLC all in 10x42.
The Vortex were much closer the the Swarovski than the others.
I did extensive testing over months between the Swarovski and the Razors
and there was nothing to choose between them. I didn’t need two 10x42, so I sold the SLCs to a fellow forum member.
To be honest, I don't think there are any bad bins out there.

Last edited:
Received my binoculars fully restored in days. Came as in a brand new box with a full set of new accessories - two belts, a bag, a napkin, a manual and a lifetime warranty card.
Bravo Vortex!

Add me to the list of long-term owner/hard users of Vortex who has been extremely satisfied with warranty/service.

I have broken by binoculars a few times and sent them into Vortex each time. I always got them back within a month as good as new.

I had to send mine in a couple weeks ago... and got them back in 8 business days, including shipping time to and from Wisconsin (which was free). That's impressive, and they work as good as new now (yes I did get my own pair back, they didn't replace them).

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back