• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Pipit ID - Central NJ (1 Viewer)

NJBirder12

I took these a few years ago in June before I had much practice with identifying birds. Is the bird an American Pipit? There were 2 or 3 in the field - habitat was right but seems there are few sightings of this species in June.

Thanks

Attachments

• american pipit dave desarno 1.jpg
    american pipit dave desarno 1.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 57
  • american pipit dave desarno 2.jpg
    american pipit dave desarno 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 57
I'm not seeing any signs of a white brow and all i'm seeing is a dark stripe mid eye so can't say for sure it's a Pipit.

Could it be a young european starling? I've seen some photos with contrast on the face similar to the bird, but none with light tail feathers at the edges.

Could it be a young european starling? I've seen some photos with contrast on the face similar to the bird, but none with light tail feathers at the edges.
Agree with Juvenile Common Starling.

The ‘light tail feathers’ are just the pale fringes to the feathers you can see

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back