• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

American Red Squirrel? NB Canada (1 Viewer)

I had a squirrel eat a hole in my back pack in the Grand Canyon NV. It looked sort of like that. One thing that stood out was it had a shorter tail then most squirrels.
Here in Indiana our Red Squirrels get pretty big.
I took this photo of one a couple hours ago.
Screenshot_20230130_164321_Gallery.jpg

Sure looks like a red squirrel to me - what are the options? It's either red, gray, or flying/nocturnal. I love these little guys. I used to have a walnut tree in my backyard in coastal Massachusetts and one year the red squirrels came in from the forest and took over operations at the walnut tree from the gray squirrels.

The red ones were more industrious about collecting and storing the nuts, I found them stashed all over the property, including inside the wheels of my car. Tons of personality too, they love to climb down the tree trunks to scold my dogs.

Hehe I loved the "red squirrels.... took over operations"...... awww poor gray squirrels, can't help to think they may have gone through a tough winter since they lost all that walnut source and probably other walnut trees around were also claimed by the "red bandits" :LOL:...... sure nature education this way it's so funny. Every kid should have the right to observe nature this way in their backyards (y)

Saw today this Red vs Gray Squirrel and made me remember the red squirrels that "took over" some territory of gray squirrels.

At first I thought gray squirrel had won and at 0:14 I thought he had ascertained his definite dominance but then at 0:17 red squirrel won the fight :LOL:

My red squirrels and a few grays have had interracial babies. I have gray squirrels with red tails.
I'll try to get a good pic and post it.

My red squirrels and a few grays have had interracial babies. I have gray squirrels with red tails.
I'll try to get a good pic and post it.

OHHHHH!!! Whenever you can please share some photos..... I'm so curious as to how they look :LOL: . This weekend in a park here in my hometown I had the chance to be at the exact moment to record a red squirrel throwing a big tantrum! It was either directed at or at a duck that started walking his way, my money is on the duck cuz I had been recording him for a while but only started his tantrum until the duck got somewhat close to him :ROFLMAO:.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back