• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

American yellow warblers ? (1 Viewer)

ugolino

Dear all,
While reviewing some old photos, I realized that I may have mis-identified a female warbler which now looks to me more like a Wilson's female.
Photo no 1 was taken in Alaska during the summer...I am thinking that the yellow brow and grayish crown are most likely symptoms of it being a female Wilson's... what do you think ?
Photo no 2 was taken in Northern Manitoba in the summer as well. I am sticking with yellow warbler, but is it a young male... or a female ?
Thank you in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Wilson's Warbler (female) ALA 8143.JPG
    Wilson's Warbler (female) ALA 8143.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 66
  • American Yellow Warbler CAN 1604.JPG
    American Yellow Warbler CAN 1604.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 69

birdmeister

United States
#1 is Wilson's Warbler, I'm pretty sure.

#2 is undoubtedly (American) Yellow Warbler, seems bright but I'm not sure if adult female can be ruled out.

Last edited:

ugolino

Thank you both.
I have found another photo of the same Canadian bird, seen from the side, which I attach. I think the yellow warbler id sticks. do you agree ?
Remains the issue of male/female... any idea ?
Thank you in advance, ugolino

Attachments

• Yellow warbler (female) CAN_1606.JPG
    Yellow warbler (female) CAN_1606.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 34

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
That makes it look much more like a yellow warbler. The contrast seemed higher in the previous image

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread