• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Amur or Japanese Paradise flycatcher - lighting issue (1 Viewer)

earlytorise

I took these two photos in Hong Kong yesterday. It seems to me that the wings are rufous enough to ID the bird as Amur Paradise Flycatcher and not Japanese.

However, would it be possible for 'overexposure' on a photo to make the wings on a female Japanese look 'more rufous'? (The photos are NOT edited.)

This question concerns photography more than anything else, but I suppose people with experience dealing with difficult IDs will know a bit about it.

Thanks and cheers!

Attachments

• DSCN9726.JPG
    DSCN9726.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 31
  • DSCN9725.JPG
    DSCN9725.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Could you give the location, please? Thanks.
Colours as perceived in photos are subject to a whole bag of unknowable influences. There is actually no such thing as an 'unedited' digital photo given that photos are all manipulated in-camera by the camera's own software at point of digitisation.

Last edited:
Would be good to know location as Asian is spilt into - Indian, Blyth's and Amur Paradise Flycatchers.

As far as lighting is concerned, overexposure can change ratio (eg - a slightly dark superclilium may look more darker as the lighter colors become more exposed). Try exposing yourself, should help.

The original post was edited immediately after my comment, to add the location as a result of my request, and to change 'Asian' to 'Amur'.

Last edited:
I took these two photos in Hong Kong yesterday. It seems to me that the wings are rufous enough to ID the bird as Amur Paradise Flycatcher and not Japanese.

However, would it be possible for 'overexposure' on a photo to make the wings on a female Japanese look 'more rufous'? (The photos are NOT edited.)

This question concerns photography more than anything else, but I suppose people with experience dealing with difficult IDs will know a bit about it.

Thanks and cheers!
One thing I have learnt more than anything when judging photos of this species complex is the need for more than a single photo from a single angle - for suboptimal photos, really need 2-3 different angles to be sure, as you mention, largely due to lighting effects.
As such, no critical detail can be picked out from these photos for a firm identification.

James

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back