• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Amur or Japanese Paradise Flycatcher? Oct 2020, Singapore (1 Viewer)

TwiddlingThumbs

Need help with the ID of the Paradise Flycatcher in photos 2 & 3. I'm quite sure the bird in photo 1 is an Amur (black throat contrasting with grey chest) and I'm attaching it here for comparison purposes.

I'm assuming photos 2 & 3 are the same bird but I cannot be 100% certain as these two birds were chasing each other and it was confusing. Due to the serious back lighting in photo 2, I had to push +0.5 EV compensation post production to show what could be an inverted U of a Japanese Paradise Flycatcher(?). I must admit the bird in photo 2 looks quite rufous as in an Amur. Does the back view of the bird in photo 3 look sooty enough to be a Japanese PF?

Help much appreciated!

Attachments

• _DSC7406_filtered-crop.jpg
    _DSC7406_filtered-crop.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 14
  • _DSC7404-crop.jpg
    _DSC7404-crop.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 12
  • _DSC7399-crop.jpg
    _DSC7399-crop.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 13

andyb39

I don't think your bird is Japanese - upperparts coloration is too coppery, the underparts look too pale grey and lack the inverted U and it looks as if the primary coverts have orange-brown edges (or am I looking at the alula? - the image is foreshortened). I would say it's probably an Amur as the throat looks darker than the breast, but these 1st-year birds can be very difficult indeed, especially when seen in dim light.

I'm not completely sure the first bird is an Amur either, although it probably is. Do you have more shots of that one?

TwiddlingThumbs

Thanks for your input, Andy!
Unfortunately, this is the only frontal shot of the first bird. I may have a blocked shot of the back view but its color looks brighter than the bird in photo 3.

Users who are viewing this thread