An amazing summer (1 Viewer)

Edward

Umimmak
A couple of weeks ago I started a thread in which I told people that two new breeding species had been discovered in Iceland, Little Gull and Long-tailed Skua (whose nest was robbed by Arctic Skua and then one of the birds was killed by a car!).

In the last week it has emerged that a further two species have been confirmed breeding. A pair of Long-eared Owls has been discovered with four young and a Woodcock was seen with a single young. Both these species have been considered likely, and roding Woodcocks are reported most summers. However, nests are extremely difficult to find, even in countries where they are common, so it's no wonder that no evidence has been found until now. What's more a pair of Common Rosefinch (usually a vagrant, not even annual) has been present at a location all summer but no breeding has been established yet. Other rare breeders this summer include Barn Swallow, House Martin, Lapwing (successfully raised young) and FOUR pairs of Coot. Until this year there had only ever been three records of breeding Coot, the last in 1954!

Is this a result of global warming or birders being more active and finding birds which have already been breeding for years??? I want Dotterel next (only ever seen twice here despite the abundance of habitat for it)!

E

Hi Edward,

Good news! I'd guess a combination of three things - more observers, global warming, and conifer plantations (ideal for LEO and Woodcock)

Michael

Users who are viewing this thread