• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An interesting ''YBW?'' (1 Viewer)

KenM

I wasn't able to provide the link, however the image can be found on London Wiki Birds thought it might be of interest to Phyllosco-philes. A yellow-vented, legged and toed individual, with a head pattern (from what you can see) looking slightly Eastern-crowned? Scroll down to Molesley Heath to find the image.

Cheers

A yellow Yellow-browed indeed Ken, but I can’t see it being anything but a YBW, presumably some odd reflections giving that saffron glow below on the photo.

Link here. It's possible to find other individuals with bright utc's, but ECW can be ruled out (no crown stripe, dumpy posture etc). Worth flagging though!

Link here. It's possible to find other individuals with bright utc's, but ECW can be ruled out (no crown stripe, dumpy posture etc). Worth flagging though!
Was aware that it wasn’t ECW it was the seemingly grey cosmetic to the crown that created interest.

I don’t know that I’ve noted yellow vent and legged YBW before hence my flagging. 👍

Was aware that it wasn’t ECW it was the seemingly grey cosmetic to the crown that created interest.

I don’t know that I’ve noted yellow vent and legged YBW before hence my flagging. 👍
With all the lockdowns and curfews around the world I think we’re all flagging at the moment Ken 🙁

Hi Ken, please don’t forget to place the location in your thread title. Thanks

I agree, it’s all good for YBW.

I think it worth mentioning, based on the other images on this instagram account, that the OP is a photographer so perhaps the aesthetic quality of the image might take precedent over a religiously accurate representation- looking at the other (excellent) images on his account, I would suggest the levels have been slightly adjusted to ‘improve’ the image - even the slightest change in eg the saturation levels, brilliance/highlights and hue etc can have quite a big impact on the original shot. It could have made the legs look orangier, the yellows brighter and white underparts that might only have a tinge of lemon yellow normally could end up quite bright!

This would probably be about the norm

Some birds can be much duller and closer to Hume’s and some definitely can be very grey looking on the mantle and crown

Hi Lisa,
London Wiki was mentioned for source and Molesley Heath for location. 👍

Cheers
I must admit, I had to google Molesley Heath, Surrey. Or maybe there is a metaphysical answer to the question ’where is the location of the rare bird on this thread?’ 🤪

All I see in the title is “An interesting YBW”? Am I missing something?
A-a-a-h...remiss of me!...I failed miserably by “indicating” the location in the content, I will now do the honourable thing and fall on my tripod. Wait a minute!...I ‘aven’t got one! 😮😄

A-a-a-h...remiss of me!...I failed miserably by “indicating” the location in the content, I will now do the honourable thing and fall on my tripod. Wait a minute!...I ‘aven’t got one! 😮😄
Good job you haven’t Ken, the NHS has enough on its plate without birding hari-kiri fans like you.
The location needs to be in the thread title, Lisa is valiantly trying to get us all to behave ( though some of us are more forgetful these days.........

Good job you haven’t Ken, the NHS has enough on its plate without birding hari-kiri fans like you.
The location needs to be in the thread title, Lisa is valiantly trying to get us all to behave ( though some of us are more forgetful these days.........
Had a look at how starting up a new thread works - it isn't really clear that you have to add location and date in the title. Has it changed with the new format? Would it not be possible to add a bold reminder box below the 'insert title box'? ... Think Lisa's going to continue to be pretty busy otherwise ... ;-)

(It's in normal print prior to starting a new thread, and there is then no reminder when you do start)

Had a look at how starting up a new thread works - it isn't really clear that you have to add location and date in the title.
Come on! For members that have been on the forum for many years, there is no excuse, we know a location is required on these ID threads. There’s a big box to add the title in before adding content.

For anyone new to the Forum, there is a Sticky that says read first before posting. Instructions are there.

Come on! For members that have been on the forum for many years, there is no excuse, we know a location is required on these ID threads. There’s a big box to add the title in before adding content.

For anyone new to the Forum, there is a Sticky that says read first before posting. Instructions are there.
I wasn't really thinking about existing members (although a lot of them are not adding it is true). For new or any members, however, I'm sure there used to be more of an 'alert' next to the big box, or there could be!!! (No-one reads stickys unless they are really obvious)

Just making a suggestion - I think Lisa is posting the same request about 10 times a day, so maybe something isn't quite working?!

Just making a suggestion - I think Lisa is posting the same request about 10 times a day, so maybe something isn't quite working?!

It is at the very top of the forum, might not stand out as much as we wish. It has for some reason become a pet peeve of mine, might be the lockdown here in the states. I do, at times, feel like I am trying to get my recalcitrant 8th graders to listen to me again, thought I had left that behind when I retired. ;)

It is at the very top of the forum, might not stand out as much as we wish. It has for some reason become a pet peeve of mine, might be the lockdown here in the states. I do, at times, feel like I am trying to get my recalcitrant 8th graders to listen to me again, thought I had left that behind when I retired. ;)
Perhaps add a sticky title in RED ?

Please Remember to Add a Location to your Title!

Then just link it to the other sticky already there?

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back