• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

An optimistic request for Centipede ID (1 Viewer)

IamFof

I know I am being VERY optimistic, but does anyone have the knowledge to ID this wee beasty.
Found it while cleaning some garden soil. It has to be the longest centipede I have ever seen, by a very long stretch.
Sorry about the poor images, but it refused to stay still for a moment. Even after being asked, very politely, it ran around like a demented centipede

P1030628 (small).jpg P1030633 (small).jpg P1030636 (small).jpg P1030641 (small).jpg

TIA

Fof

IamFof

Another look on the web and I have found a possible (?) candidate, size wise, at least.
Western Yellow Centipede (Stigmatogaster subterranea).
Any other suggestions?

ApusApus

As you say, size-wise it fits a Western Yellow and this species is found in garden soils and compost heaps but you will struggle to get a confirmation without using a microscope!

Shane

Users who are viewing this thread