• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An unusual avian Christmas e-card (1 Viewer)

pbgrebe

While cleaning out files from my computer I came across one that I made during the period when I worked on the California condor reintroduction project that I had completely forgotten about. During the holiday season in one of those years I had been playing around on my computer and, just for fun, decided to make a Christmas e-card from one of my condor photos. Anyway, I thought it was something that some of you fellow avian heads might find amusing so I’ve posted here (I guess in a dark comedy kind of way some conservationists might also derive a measure of satisfaction from it!).

Note that rather than consuming Santa, the condors in the photo are actually cleaning off remaining scraps from the carcass of a stillborn domestic cow calf (these juvenile birds were in our condor facility undergoing the standard on-site pre-release conditioning process prior to being released into the wild). The main food we fed to the condors was the carcasses of stillborn domestic cow calves which we acquired from local dairy farms. Personally, I found this to be a humane and ethical means of feeding the condors—no animals needed to be killed since the calves were stillborn and this method ensured that the birds were being fed clean (i.e., lead-free) carcasses. Should anyone be interested, you can learn more about these individual condors by checking out the 4 posts that I submitted under the “Conservation” heading in this forum in 2020.

Happy holidays!

Attachments

• condor card.pdf
    106 KB · Views: 24
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back