• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

An unusual story (1 Viewer)

I would like share with you an amazing but true story.

3 years ago - We had a pair of birds start nesting in an area between the house and garage, this area has a normal built roof and back wall, with one side being the garage wall and the other with a side opening and an open front. It also has a bread oven with a sort of mantle piece made of wood.

These birds were Black Redstarts, although, at first I thought they were robins of some sort, because of the bobbing up and down and tail flicking. However, they built a nest on the mantle piece in the ares described above, of mainly sticks over about 2 days. The next morning for what ever reason, the nest was on the ground but the birds were still around and very obvious. Thinking they were of the Robin family, I ask my husband to make a Robin nest box, he found some odd bits of wood, made the box and fixed to the wall on the shelf where the nest had been, and we went in for lunch.

The same day, late afternoon time, we went outside and found that these birds had made their nest in the box and pieces of nest material were sticking out from the inside of the box! They went on to hatch their brood and at least 3 birds came out that I saw. The next year, over the winter I replaced the make shift box with a proper solid type box, they returned and used the box, although, I felt it was a different couple of birds, still Black Redstarts, however, they abandoned the eggs for what ever reason I don't know.

This year the birds have been back to the box and have hatched 3 young again. They came out of the box about 3 weeks ago and they all stayed in the garden near the house where the parents fed them. Now, 3 weeks on and totally independent of their parents, I am totally amused by their behaviour. Every night about half an hour before dark all 3 young gather around the house and get together before going under cover near the nest box for the night.

Users who are viewing this thread