• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

And now a rumour of Mirrorless APS-C R series (1 Viewer)

Pauhana

United States
https://www.canonrumors.com/there-m...orless-announced-in-late-2020-early-2021-cr2/

"have been told that Canon has plans to announce a “high-end” APS-C camera in late 2020 or early 2021. Product launches are obviously affected by the current global landscape.

What I cannot figure out from the bits of information that I have received is whether or not this camera has an EF-M mount or an RF mount.

One source claims the new APS-C camera will basically be an “EOS R6 with a small sensor”, but the source hasn’t responded for clarification about what mount the camera would be equipped with."

Canon has made it pretty clear that they are not intending to develop any further EF mount cameras or lenses. Therefore an RF mount crop sensor camera. Most sources seem to be convinced of a replacement for the 7D since they quite some time ago announced that there would be no further upgrades to the 7D and no further production. Hence the speculation of it being termed R7. I'll have to seriously consider that if and when it does come out.

I've been using Fuji mirrorless for about five years, mostly for corporate and architectural photography and said I wouldn't go back to DSLR. However, as I'm now getting into bird photography (as a hobby, excuse the pun) I was considering a DSLR again. I think I might have been right first time - stay with mirrorless... it's the future, if not entirely the present.

If Canon produce a top-end APS-C mirrorless camera, they'll have to do something special - in many respects they'll be playing catch-up with Fuji, which is one of the reasons I switched (from a 5DmkIII) in the first place.

If I don't buy a Canon (of any description) now, I'll most likely stick with a Fuji X-T3 or X-T4 and buy a 100-400mm Fuji lens. The biggest downside to Fuji is also it's upside - the lenses are spectacular, both optically and in build quality, but you do pay for it.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back