• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Android app for Australia Birds Identification (1 Viewer)

Hi.
I have been developing Android apps related to Australian Birds Identification which has advanced filters to search for any species of bird. I am need of feedback from users to refine the app features. Currently I have published the demo version as well as the full version covering birds of Kakadu National Park & Daintree National park.

The main purpose of the app is to help the bird lovers ID a bird and the app acts as an mobile field guide. The concept of the app is to provide features where a user when he/she sights a bird, and cannot identify it but wants to recognize & learn more about the bird, all he/she has to do is select the filters provided in the app based on what he observes about the bird and the App returns the list of birds matching those criteria.

The search engine developed in the app is pretty fast and efficient and with few clicks should filter down birds from a very large list to the targeted list provided the filters are applied correctly.

FILTERS

Under the drop-down Menu - Advanced Search currently I have provided 8 Main filters as mentioned below :
Color
Habitat
Bird Type
Voice
Flight Type
Conservation Status

Once you click on any of the filter it would display the attributes for that specific filter. Each attribute has a checkbox which can be selected. Once you select a checkbox it would filter the birds and display the list Realtime on the left side of the screen. You can select and de-select the filter based on your preference and the search engine would update the display list for any change you make. You also have an option to delete all the attributes or specific attributes and start from beginning.

if possible could you please review the app and maybe inform friends so that they can also review and provide me some kind of feedback.

Demo Version - Birds of Kakadu National Park

Full Version - Birds of Kakadu national Park

Demo Version - Birds of Daintree National Park

Full Version - Birds of Daintree National Park

Demo Version - Birds of Australia

Thanks,
MGTiger Creations

Last edited:
Had a quick look and to be honest they are not something I would spend my money on.

There is nothing here I couldn't get for free from the Web. Large parts of the text seem to be lifted from Wikipedia. These apps would not be a substitute for an actual field guide.

hi,
you have only checked the bird detailed information section. What you have commented on comprises only 10 % of the app. This app's main feature is for quick bird identification using the advanced filters which has taken 2 years to complete. Did you even try them out? The are are 8 main filters(Each filter contains multiple attributes ) which provides instant filtering taking place which are processing on a single screen. No other app does that providing multiple filters and results on the same screen. Please review the app fully before making any conclusion. It seems like a hollow review you have performed with no actual interest in exploring the features. This is not a encyclopedia app rather its Bird Identification App using Bird photos & Filters . When on a field many users find a Field Guide book useless as its not convenient to use as it requires to flip over numerous pages. This app helps identify a bird instantly within few seconds. Please explore the app with little more patience and provide your feedback. I want users like you to find this App useful in real life as lot of efforts has gone into developing it. This is not an application you can equate with information you get on web. I have edited the original post mentioning about the filters so that users don't miss them while experimenting with the app. By the way the bird physical characteristics and habits remain the same as its a species. I can't reinvent them for my app. Any description of the bird would only vary by slight variation in sentence formation. if a bird is Crimson in color. The formation of sentences can change but the bird color description is still going to be Crimson. I suggest please explore the app once more to learn more about its features and how to utilize them in field. Thanks.

Last edited:
That's quite an effort you put into the development of these apps! A very interesting project and rather time-consuming, I suppose. You had to write a lot of ifs, for sure. The system of filters is handy, though it takes some time to learn because of its broadness (particularly all the different sounds and their names). Have you considered posting in the 'Australia' thread ('Your Local Patch' > 'Europe & Rest of the World Patches' > 'Australia, New Zealand & Oceania' > 'Australia')? It would allow more people to see your messages. This forum is quite big, and you'll have a lot to explore (I'm still in the process). I hope you'll soon find your niche in here. I tried to review the 'Birds of Australia' app (demo version) to the best of my ability. I've never been to Australia, so thank you for giving me a pretext to dive deeper into the colourful world of Australian birds. I enjoyed it very much!

Some categories to add:

Other suggestions:
  • obtrusive notifications;
  • when I want to find a bird which just happens to be introduced/vagrant, I may not immediately recognise it as such, but I know in which part of Australia it was seen (maybe enable searching for introduced birds/vagrants by location; I believe unexperienced birdwatchers won't know when to tick the last two boxes because when you have a mystery bird, you can't easily guess their status in Australia without knowing its species name first);
  • maybe add more specific descriptions of some carnivores (insectivore?, piscivore?);
  • perhaps add Latin species names;
  • the difference between swamps and wetlands might be hard to grasp, and in your app they differ significantly in terms of inhabitants;
  • I can't see that much of a difference between cawing and croaking (and there is no overlap between cawing and croaking birds in the app), so perhaps lumping these two would be an option;
  • there is no space in 'StraightLine' (one of the flight types);
  • I wouldn't characterise a moorhen's call as crowing.
  • male and female red capped robins occur in different habitats.

Mistakes in descriptions ('g' stands for 'grammatical error(s)', 't' stands for 'typographical error(s)'):
  • Australasian darter - female (t),
  • Australasian grebe (g),
  • Australasian swamphen (g),
  • Australian brushturkey (t),
  • Australian crake (t),
  • Australian magpie (g),
  • dusky woodswallow (g, t),
  • Eurasian wigeon (g, t).

Good luck with the rollout of the full version!

Last edited:
That's quite an effort you put into the development of these apps! A very interesting project and rather time-consuming, I suppose. You had to write a lot of ifs, for sure. The system of filters is handy, though it takes some time to learn because of its broadness (particularly all the different sounds and their names). Have you considered posting in the 'Australia' thread ('Your Local Patch' > 'Europe & Rest of the World Patches' > 'Australia, New Zealand & Oceania' > 'Australia')? It would allow more people to see your messages. This forum is quite big, and you'll have a lot to explore (I'm still in the process). I hope you'll soon find your niche in here. I tried to review the 'Birds of Australia' app (demo version) to the best of my ability. I've never been to Australia, so thank you for giving me a pretext to dive deeper into the colourful world of Australian birds. I enjoyed it very much!

Some categories to add:

Other suggestions:
  • obtrusive notifications;
  • when I want to find a bird which just happens to be introduced/vagrant, I may not immediately recognise it as such, but I know in which part of Australia it was seen (maybe enable searching for introduced birds/vagrants by location; I believe unexperienced birdwatchers won't know when to tick the last two boxes because when you have a mystery bird, you can't easily guess their status in Australia without knowing its species name first);
  • maybe add more specific descriptions of some carnivores (insectivore?, piscivore?);
  • perhaps add Latin species names;
  • the difference between swamps and wetlands might be hard to grasp, and in your app they differ significantly in terms of inhabitants;
  • I can't see that much of a difference between cawing and croaking (and there is no overlap between cawing and croaking birds in the app), so perhaps lumping these two would be an option;
  • there is no space in 'StraightLine' (one of the flight types);
  • I wouldn't characterise a moorhen's call as crowing.
  • male and female red capped robins occur in different habitats.

Mistakes in descriptions ('g' stands for 'grammatical error(s)', 't' stands for 'typographical error(s)'):
  • Australasian darter - female (t),
  • Australasian grebe (g),
  • Australasian swamphen (g),
  • Australian brushturkey (t),
  • Australian crake (t),
  • Australian magpie (g),
  • dusky woodswallow (g, t),
  • Eurasian wigeon (g, t).

Good luck with the rollout of the full version!
Thank you for taking time to write an extensive review. You definitely explored the app very deeply. I have developed this app for Australia sitting in a continent very much far away. I have never visited Australia myself and have never physically seen any of these birds. But in the modern world every information related to birds is available so I have developed this app using my technical skills and interest in wildlife. Australia continent I have chosen as there was no app available providing comprehensive search engine for Australia else I would have developed an app for North American Birds.

My final target is to complete the Bird app for whole of Australia. But the number is so huge i.e. 900+ including vagrants and introduced its consuming huge time to complete it. I have done around 500 species of birds till now and I am still working on it.

I will take up your review feedback and implement then in the latest version of the Birds app. The filter lists are being updated every day based on the new species of birds I am including in the app. The Demo version for Australia birds was released initially for users to review with basic features. I am constantly updating and correcting them. I will also improve on the details once the base framework is completed all the birds are listed fully.

I don't think I can post anything on any of the other threads in birds forum or any other group promoting the app. Anywhere I post the admins/ moderators delete my posting saying its a spam. So the forums are not helping much. By the way thanks very much again for reviewing my app and do keep in touch. Take care

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back