• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angus Hills and Glens (1 Viewer)

burnie

The Tayside thread doesn't really cover the whole county, going into the Glens and Cairngorms, there's a separate thread for Montrose basin, this thread could also cover Lintrathan, the Backwater and Kinnordy as well.

Hi burnie.... it was intended to cover all of the area, it just depends where people go and report from.

There's a thread for Kinnordy but by the time I got back from Australia and sorted myself out we were into lockdown so there were no reports from there last year. Hopefully they'll be able to open the hides there before too long as you can't see much of the water through the trees.

I'll do something soon for Kinnordy as I was at the feeders last week, just not sorted the pictures yet.

The Angus Glens were my local stomping ground when i was more able and a regular hill walker. Lots of happy memories.
It would be good to see reports from that area.

Yeah.... Glen Moy and Glen Prosen are my favourites, but I can't do much now other than sit in the car sadly.

When Stonefaction and Paul can get together again, they sometimes wander up the glens.

I can manage to stumble a very slow mile or so, as long as i carry enough painkillers.
Hopefully things open up enough that i can get to 'the crag' that a pair of golden eagles nest on every year.

I can manage to stumble a very slow mile or so, as long as i carry enough painkillers.
Hopefully things open up enough that i can get to 'the crag' that a pair of golden eagles nest on every year.
LOL you sound a bit like me... age doesn't come itself, as people keep telling me.

In my dreams I can walk for miles like I used to.

I'm in training now, cycling 10 miles most days and walking a couple, once the stay at home regulations lift, I intend to get into the Glens more, I take my camera as I also like looking for reptiles as well as the birds.
A link to my flickr site where there's a mixture of stuff for those who might be interested.

Had our first drive up one of the Glens, in between the snow flurries in temperature just above freezing we saw good numbers of Lapwing, Oyster Catchers and Curlews. Spotted the first Wheatear and a lot of Mistle and Song Thrushes, pick of the day was two Woodcock out on short grass, only seen that once before in my life.BM1K2324.jpgBM1K2334.jpgBM1K2328.jpg

WOW!! I've only really seen one... flying away from me in a wood. Though did get some in a Welsh forest one evening some years ago.

Great pictures there Burnine - which glen were you in (or do you not really want to say)?

Ah! Nice one. I worked up by Tarfside for a few weeks back in the 1970's. Only been back there a couple of times since though.

My local Glen, in a normal year I try to get there every week, was rather busy today, lot of walkers going towards Mount Keen.

Our latest trip was to Glen Clova and Glen Doll, a lot less snow about than I expected, but there seemed to be lower numbers of birds present compared to Glen Esk. Very few Curlews seen, reasonable numbers of Lapwing and quite a lot of Oystercatchers. 2 Kestrels seen along with 9 Buzzards. Mistle and Song Thrushes, lots of Jackdaws, a few French Partridge and a lot of Pheasants looking very colourful in the sunshine. No sign of any migrants yet.

A Hooded Merganser was at Kinnordy yesterday, sadly my car is having new brakes fitted tomorrow so may not get there myself.

Looking at the photo sent to me I'm guessing yes, we are going up there in a bit, I will let you know, given up chasing Orcas for today.

We went to Kinnordy, it was open and quite busy, there are points to sanitise your hands, masks to be worn and 4 people at a time in the two bigger hides and 2 in the East hide. Not much showing, there was a Wood Sandpiper and an Osprey was fishing, pair of Marsh Harriers seen on the wing earlier, we then went up Glen Prosen. A couple of Brown Hares spotted on the way up and a few Lapwings in the Glen, with fresh snow on the hill tops, it was bitterly cold, which seemed to have pushed things further back down the Glen.

Attachments

• BM1K2403.jpg
    BM1K2403.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 1
Had a drive up Glen Clova and into Glen Doll, weather a bit wild and windy, but found a lot of game birds around, which considering the number of posh 4x4's filled with gun toting persons was surprising. Red Grouse, Red Legged Partridge, Pheasants along with Red Deer on the tops of the hills and 5 Red Kites circling over the road. First sight of a skein of Pink Footed Geese went over too, really nice day in the Glens.

Attachments

• BM1K2990.jpg
    BM1K2990.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 7
  • BM1K2988.jpg
    BM1K2988.jpg
    448 KB · Views: 4
We have just had the best days birding in a Glen in my life, 2 White tailed Eagles and a Red Kite together, then further along we found 2 Buzzards and 2 Ravens. Then further into the Glen we got 2 distant Golden Eagles with another Red Kite and rounded off the day with a Kestrel, so 5 different raptor species in less than an hour, amazing.

Attachments

• BM1K3046.jpg
    BM1K3046.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BM1K3048.jpg
    BM1K3048.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 14
  • BM1K3073.jpg
    BM1K3073.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BM1K3074.jpg
    BM1K3074.jpg