• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Angus Hills and Glens (1 Viewer)

Had another wander up the Glens for some hill walking practice, surprised to see an Osprey still about this late, though I guess it's not been too cold yet.

We went for a drive up Glen Esk, not driven this far since my operation and the walk was curtailed as I still can't go too far, however we still managed to find some superb wildlife. Red Kites and an Osprey on the Loch, a lot of Mistle and Song Thrushes feeding their young, a few Lapwing chicks, but adults still seem to be sat on eggs, no sign of any Red Grouse at all? On the return journey my wife spotted and snapped this Woodcock, we seem to finding these on most trips up here these days.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 21
We went for a drive up Glen Esk, not driven this far since my operation and the walk was curtailed as I still can't go too far, however we still managed to find some superb wildlife. Red Kites and an Osprey on the Loch, a lot of Mistle and Song Thrushes feeding their young, a few Lapwing chicks, but adults still seem to be sat on eggs, no sign of any Red Grouse at all? On the return journey my wife spotted and snapped this Woodcock, we seem to finding these on most trips up here these days.
Good grief, I'd love to have one on the ground like that!

John

Had a drive and a picnic in Glen Clova yesterday, also drove up to the car park in Glen Doll but it was raining so didn't stop, also drove up Glen Prosen too. Baby birds the theme of the day, Pheasants wandering along the road with chicks, a few Lapwings, though most still sat on eggs, ditto Black headed gull and Curlews. Buzzards hunting, Red Kites too, we sat and watched a Kestrel catch a vole, couldn't quite believe just how hard it hit the ground. A young Red Squirrel passed us as we were eating our lunch, it didn't want a cheese butty. Blink and you'll miss it.

Attachments

• 20220601124050.MP4
    13.3 MB
LOL got it in the end Burnie. They are speedy, aren't they

Thanks.

There wasn't a tree near us apart from a couple of Birch, it was on a long journey, never witnessed that before.

No.... it looks like you were in the middle of a clear fell area? Perhaps he was going back to one of his cache's LOL?

Shame that.

Had another short drive to Glen Clova, very quiet at this time of year, only saw 1 Lapwing, heard a couple of Curlews but didn't see any, a Red Leg Partrdge and a few Black Headed Gulls, didn't stay long.

Had a drive up Glen Esk and a walk to the Loch, not a huge amount on view, a single Red Kite followed by a Golden Eagle picked us up, but as I was driving no picture, by the time I'd stopped in a safe place it was long gone. Eerily quiet by the Loch, though we did see a Dragon...........Fly and a Dipper on the river on the walk back.

Attachments

• BM1K4137.jpg
    BM1K4137.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BM1K4135.jpg
    BM1K4135.jpg
    501 KB · Views: 9
Had a drive up Glen Doll and Glen Clova, raining in Doll so nothing seen apart from Pheasants and French Partridges, Clova had 5 Buzzards and a couple of Red Kites picking up the splattered Pheasants off the road. Was looking for a Red Deer rut but neither saw nor heard a thing, another Glen tomorrow hopefully.

Back to Glen Esk today, just a short drive up and down as my wife's has just had a new hip last week and cannot walk far yet, we were both going stir crazy in home so a view was what was required and got. A Red Kite and a Red Squirrel were our first spots, followed by a Red Grouse and an abundance of golden red trees, but sadly no Red Deer seen or heard. Thick fog and low cloud meant it was a quiet trip, but glorious just the same. We rounded the trip off with a load of Red Legged Partridge.

Attachments

• BM1K4173.jpg
    BM1K4173.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 6
  • BM1K4166.jpg
    BM1K4166.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 6
  • BM1K4174.jpg
    BM1K4174.jpg
    366.1 KB · Views: 6
That run up Glen Esk will have done the pair of you a world of good!!

I'm sure your wife will make a great recovery from her op and will soon be striding out again. Good luck.... make sure she does the exercises!!! ;)

Had a ride round the Catheruns and up Glen Lethnot, then towards the Cairn O'Mount and up Drumochty Glen, very little about in the mist, we got a Red Kite as soonas we arrived, but after that it was bleak. Roe deer in fair numbers, corvids by the hundred, mostly Jackdaws and Crows and a few Pheasants, the leaves were a sight to behold though, stunning golden hills just now.

Had a drive up Glen Esk in the light snow to see what was about, the short answer was not much, but lacking in numbers didn't make for a poor trip. Raven, Buzzard, 2 Red Kites, a Woodcock and a Dipper in the river and finally 18 Meadow Pipits sat on some wires. Loadsa Pheasants and a few Red Legged Partridges on the drive out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back