• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Algarve Lark (1 Viewer)

ndsutcliffe

SkyBlue136
Bear with me everybody, I'm still trying to bottom these larks in the Algarve.

Again, taken 10th April near Vila do Bispo, Portugal. To me this one has white outer tail feathers - which makes it a Skylark?

Algarve Lark.jpg

Given that the background is/appears whiter than the 'white' outer tail-feathers, we might debate about whether they are white...
Indeed - so are they rufous-ish and therefore Thekla-ish? Or are they white-ish and therefore Skylark-ish?! I swear this will drive me mad............

Mr Sutcliffe, best bet is get your ear in with regard to calls, then it will become a lot easier for you. Also pay attention to things like jizz, behaviour and habitat. These are usually huge clues for many species. Hope that helps, "going forward" as they say these days. :)

Mr Sutcliffe, best bet is get your ear in with regard to calls, then it will become a lot easier for you. Also pay attention to things like jizz, behaviour and habitat. These are usually huge clues for many species. Hope that helps, "going forward" as they say these days. :)

(y) will do

Hello,
I agree with Roland, Butty and Jogresh, its not a Skylark. Adding to the bill shape I want to add the quite pale, uniform tertials.
In many worn plumaged Skylarks, the tertials are still dark and paler edges are easily visible/guessable.

But for the difficult species pair, Thekla vs Crested Lark I better stop.
No offence you know, Roland. I learned much from your posts and your website!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back