• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another heron. Dominican Republic. (1 Viewer)

testoduro

This white heron with its black bill and lores doesn't fit with any pictures in my Helm guidebook. What is it?

Thanks!

Edited: A juvenile little blue heron, perhaps?

Attachments

• Mystery snowy egret.jpg
    Mystery snowy egret.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
I think see a lighter (blue) bill base with a darker tip. That would imply little blue heron. Another likely candidate might be reddish egret but I think we'd see a much clearer bill pattern (pale pinkish and dark) and shaggier neck

I think see a lighter (blue) bill base with a darker tip. That would imply little blue heron. Another likely candidate might be reddish egret but I think we'd see a much clearer bill pattern (pale pinkish and dark) and shaggier neck
Thank you, The Fern!

Sorry for my clumsiness, this being my first birdwatching experience across the pond. I guess the Reddish Egret with its shaggier neck would be this other one (no 2), wouldn't it?

Attachments

• Fase blanca. Haitises.jpg
    Fase blanca. Haitises.jpg
    394.8 KB · Views: 31
Thank you, The Fern!

Sorry for my clumsiness, this being my first birdwatching experience across the pond. I guess the Reddish Egret with its shaggier neck would be this other one (no 2), wouldn't it?
Looks like. We can see the reddish on the bill

Looks like. We can see the reddish on the bill
The extensive correspondence made me return to this. Now I'm confused... The feet are wrong for reddish egret. I can't find any Macaulay image with them like this for that species or for little blue heron. It's wrong for other candidates like snowy too I think

Bill of both looks pretty much like little blue heron, if without the usual appearance of a slight droop. Doesn't have the stiletto-point of snowy egret or the dagger-shape of reddish egret. Neither has reddish egret's (non-breeding) dark lore.

Bill of both looks pretty much like little blue heron, if without the usual appearance of a slight droop. Doesn't have the stiletto-point of snowy egret or the dagger-shape of reddish egret. Neither has reddish egret's (non-breeding) dark lore.
Feet and bill colour wrong in the second (couldn't find any images with pink base), also (for me at least) jizz

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back