• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

another Nikon Sporter question! (1 Viewer)

emmabt

Hi everyone,
I'm new to bird watching and have been making do with budget compact 25mm binoculars, but really want something bigger and better!

I'm quite tempted by the Sporters on warehouse express, but wondered if anyone could give some advice -
firstly, is the 36mm diameter going to be noticably bigger than my 25s- and is it noticably smaller than 42mms, which are the only size I have been able to test (not Nikons) I feel I need quite a change to justify the expense (particularly to my husband!)
Alternatively, does anyone have any other ideas for a similar price but 42mm - there are some opticron ones on warehouse express too, but not such a big discount so I'm assuming not so good...

Also - and here is where I reveal even further my complete lack of knowledge in the binocular field(!!) - will they come with a case and strap etc or do I have to order that separately?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice, and hopefully mean I can hold my head up high next time I go out bird watching!

Emma

Hi Emma & welcome to BF

You wouldn't regret buying the sporters - honestly!!

But, to give you some info to justify the purchase to yourself (or husband;) ) The diameter would certainly be noticeably bigger than your current bins - the actual "barrels" are 48mm. But it would be the superior quality that I suspect would be the biggest difference you would notice (and your Birding skills would no doubt benefit too!)
They come complete with a soft case & a wide "webbing" strap (4cm wide). The strap takes a little while to break in, but is a lot more comfortable than those nasty thin types!

The only negative point I can think of is the fact that the twist up eye-cups are a little loose and don't always stay put - but for my money this isn't a big deal

For the price that Warehouse Express are offering them, they are a real bargain & you could do a lot worse than buy them! I've not looked back since I bought mine just before Xmas

Hi Emma and welcome from the Moderators and Admin of Birdforum.
I see you've already got some advice from Simon and no doubt more will be on the way,as binocular queries are always guaranteed to get a lively response!

Hi Emma

I just took possession of a pair of 8*36 sporters and am very happy with them. definately brighter and clearer than the 10*42 bushnells i had previously. Only had them a few days here and the weather has been most foul so i havent really had much of a chance to test them yet, but even in these cloudy conditions they are bright around the backyard/local park. Also they come with a soft case, strap and a 25 year worldlwide guarantee... at least mine dide anyway. Will post more when i get a chance to give em a proper workout, probably this weekend.

Cheers
Tim

also...

thanks for the advice so far, I am 90% sure I am going to get some, but one last thing I thought of - what are they like in lowish light conditions?
I am hoping to go on an early morning (4.30am) guided walk in the woods at the weekend - do you think they will be okay for that?

Thanks again

Emma

Hmmm..........I would think that any bins with an objective lens smaller than say 50mm and a magnification of more than 7x would struggle at 4:30am in a wood! ;)
Having said that, the Nikons (I have the 8x36) do deliver an extremely bright image for their size (IMO)
I have used mine in all weathers and have yet to encounter a problem (I have even tried them out indoors in very gloomy conditions and they do seem to perform well in low light conditions - compared to my old 8x30s they are perfect!)

Although there is no substitute for actually trying a new pair af bins yourself, I could say with some confidence that you would not be disappointed with them.
Several other members have bought them from Warehouse Express recently & I can't remember any of them having anything bad to say about them ;)

Cheers

I'm also one of the happy band who bought Nikon Sporters from Warehouse Express. I use them in all weathers except really heavy rain and so far have been delighted with them. ;)

I gotta get in on this!
I have the 10x36 Sporters. First, the 36mm lens is a lot bigger than 25mm ones, closer to 42mm binoculars. Sporters are very clear. I was using them yesterday after work, standing in some rain, watching some swallows. And they worked swell in the clouds. I really wish I had an 8x36 though.
And they do come with the case and the neck strap.
marcus

Last edited:
Geoff Brown said:
I'm also one of the happy band who bought Nikon Sporters from Warehouse Express. I use them in all weathers except really heavy rain and so far have been delighted with them. ;)

Have to add my approval also........for the price, an excellent pair of bins. Have been trying a pair of 10s extensively over the past few months in all weathers and light and have found the image quality remarkably good for bins in this price range.

JP

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back