• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

(Another) odonata ID confirmation needed (1 Viewer)

It appears to have all black legs - which would make it a Ruddy Darter - but it would be good to see a photo from a different angle (e.g. more from the top or of the eyes or from the side) as leg stripes don't always show in photos.

AFAIK where you live you will have two very similar darters with striped legs - striolatum (Common) and vulgatum (Moustached) which are very similar best separated by a photograph showing the eyes (black down side of frons for vulgatum but not for striolatum) or, for a female, a side on shot showing the vulvar scale. You also may have another darter with striped legs - Yellow-winged - but usually that has extensive yellow in the wings rather than just at the wing bases.

In the UK it's not a problem because we only have one darter with striped legs - apart from the migrant Red-veined Darter which is easy to ID without seeing the legs!

That aside I think it probably has black legs which, with the features we can see, would make it a Ruddy Darter or possibly a Marshland Darter (I think they have become pretty scarce in northern Germany)

I tend to take distant photos from several angles and then move in to get a better photo which is usually when the insect disappears never to be seen again :)

Thanks for detailed explanation on what to look for and the tips for photography.

Since basically all of the european darters besides Island and Highland darter seem to occur in Germany (not sure though which occur in my area) I will probably have more questions in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back