• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Pakarang plover (1 Viewer)

Oldnintheway

United States
Looking at the post by RSNaarhus got me looking at my photos taken two days before. 2/19/2020 at Laem Pakarang, Phang nga, Thailand. I'd appreciate your opinions on this bird. Lesser sand?
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_8725_01.JPG
    DSC_8725_01.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 57
  • DSC_8724_01.JPG
    DSC_8724_01.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 63
I think the one on the right is a Lesser (Tibetan) Sand Plover. A few birds can get a vague pale collar like this towards the end of the winter due to wear/bleaching. This easily leads to confusion with Kentish/White-faced, but the collar is usually not so well defined as Kentish and the structure is slightly different (eg bill shape).

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back