• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Quick-Find Index: Birds of Brazil - Pantanal & Cerrado (1 Viewer)

Swissboy

Sempach, Switzerland
Supporter
Switzerland
I compiled another one of my Quick-Find Index series. This one is for a probably less widespread book:
WILDLIFE CONSERVATION SOCIETY BIRDS OF BRAZIL The Pantanal & Cerrado of Central Brazil

(Cornell Paperback 2010)

I used to offer these lists as a Word file in order to allow individual modifications. Seems that this is no longer possible. So here it is as a PDF. If you want a Word version let me know by private message. Also, if you know how to attach this as a Word file, please let me know.

Are there other books in the works as mentioned in the introduction?

Attachments

• BIRDS OF BRAZIL - PANTANAL & CERRADO QUICK-FIND INDEX by PLATE - PAGE numbers.pdf
    19.9 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
This is a really great book… combine it with the guide to Bolivia and the guide to Peru and you really cover a huge chunk of central S America.

As far as more guides in the series… Bob Ridgely commented to me at one point that it didn’t look like the planned volumes 3/4/5 would occur. I know Guy Tudor is (as of some time ago) no longer drawing, so a lot of art would be missing for the Amazonian volume (and it would be the biggest / most complex task). The other two would have less demand surely but would also be easier based upon e what already exists art-wise.

Last edited:
This is a really great book… combine it with the guide to Bolivia and the guide to Peru and you really cover a huge chunk of central S America.

As far as more guides in the world… Bob Ridgely commented to me at one point that it didn’t look like the planned volumes 3/4/5 would occur. I know Guy Tudor is (as of some time ago) no longer drawing, so a lot of art would be missing for the Amazonian volume (and it would be the biggest / most complex task). The other two would have less demand surely but would also be easier based upon e what already exists art-wise.
I do not see document as a supported format when hitting attach.

Thanks for sharing the index; the question becomes: which page to cover with it?
Niels

..........the question becomes: which page to cover with it?
Niels
Exactly the problem that I was also facing. For the time being, I copied the index on more rigid paper. I then glued it (as an extra page) on to the spine between page 322 (last page) and the inside back cover. I did not want to permanently cover up the Biomes map, but it does not need to be looked at all the time.

Exactly the problem that I was also facing. For the time being, I copied the index on more rigid paper. I then glued it (as an extra page) on to the spine between page 322 (last page) and the inside back cover. I did not want to permanently cover up the Biomes map, but it does not need to be looked at all the time.
Here is how this looks. There might be a page or two where the index could be glued over in the front. But I liked the stilts flying over the whole page spread. :)
And such a quick-find index serves its purpose best if placed as close to one of the book covers as possible.

I might add the policy I try to use: singulars for groups that have the same name like Jay. Plurals are used when different names are included in the group, like piculet and woodpecker. Underlining is used to highlight major groups like sparrows or hummingbirds. There is clearly a subjective preference from my part. That is why I would prefer providing the index in a version that can be easily modified for individual needs. There are often subgroups added as well, such as Crake within the rails.

Attachments

• P1070813.jpgred2400.jpg
    P1070813.jpgred2400.jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

As far as more guides in the series… Bob Ridgely commented to me at one point that it didn’t look like the planned volumes 3/4/5 would occur. I know Guy Tudor is (as of some time ago) no longer drawing, so a lot of art would be missing for the Amazonian volume (and it would be the biggest / most complex task). The other two would have less demand surely but would also be easier based upon e what already exists art-wise.
Thanks for this background info. Too bad the remaining volumes are unlikely to be produced. So after finally looking at this book that I have had sitting on my bookshelves for about a decade, I decided to at least get volume two as long as it is still available. The plates of the first volume are definitely of most convincing quality.

In a perfect world, the publishers of these volumes and e.g., Lynx could go together on a joint venture for the rest of the volumes. I know, I am dreaming ...
Niels

That's a shame there not continuing the series. It's a really great format for a birdy and large country like Brazil, where lugging around a entire book is not exactly the most practical option.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back