• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Raptor. Boise, Idaho, USA (1 Viewer)

jnicholes

Unknown 6_1.jpg

Unknown 6_2.jpg

First, I just want to say that I think these photos are awesome. Best photos I ever took. Its staring into my soul in one of the photos. HAHAHA!

Second, I cant really tell what it is from this angle. Any ideas?

I'm thinking Prairie Falcon also (assuming that it's not an escape). It has a white area behind the eye, a 'moustache' coming down from the eye, a (bit of) a white stripe over the eye, and a medium-brown back.

Really? Care to hazard a guess which one?

Urgg since you insist... Swainson's: white face pattern, short tail (shorter than wings), for example. I'm certain this is no falcon as the wings are super-broad, the face pattern's wrong (no moustachial streak, pattern of white), wings longer than tail etc.

I'm thinking Prairie Falcon also (assuming that it's not an escape). It has a white area behind the eye, a 'moustache' coming down from the eye, a (bit of) a white stripe over the eye, and a medium-brown back.

Here, either the bird's feathers are bleached or the pic over-exposed. This says there's no moustachial streak: the "hood" behind the white next to the bill is solid. I'm sure any streak you're seeing is an artefact.

Here, either the bird's feathers are bleached or the pic over-exposed. This says there's no moustachial streak: the "hood" behind the white next to the bill is solid. I'm sure any streak you're seeing is an artefact.

Noted.

Agree with Swainson's Hawk, presumably an immature. I can't see this bird as a falcon at all.

It does appear to have a short tail. So maybe I'm wrong.

Agree with Swainson's Hawk, presumably an immature. I can't see this bird as a falcon at all.
Yeah, something about the head just says "buzzard" to me (I even briefly thought of a CB before remembering the thread title...). Also, the iris is brown, not black. Though I'm not very familiar with any of the species suggested so far.

Unknown 6_3.jpg

Unknown 6_4.jpg

More photos. One from the back and one from the side. I couldnt get a photo from the front otherwise I would be trespassing on private property.

The one from the side was accidentally taken with a 1/2000 shutter setting, the rest were 1/80. I see a white bottom. The beak has some yellow and curves down.

I honestly thought it was a falcon because the wings are pointed. I could be wrong, and it wouldnt be the first time.

It seems like a pretty clear immature Swainson's Hawk to me. The picture from the rear gives a better sense of the wing length. They have quite long, pointed wings for a Buteo.

I think just solved it by going through my bird photos comparing.

Here is a photo I took of a Juvenile Swainsons Hawk. Here is also a photo of this bird.

Swainsons Hawk_5.jpg

Unknown 6_1.jpg

I think it is a Juvenile Swainsons Hawk. What do you guys think?

Swainsons....juvenile. The facial pattern doesn't show the predominate mustache...more a blend with head/cap in these originals photos

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back