• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

Register for an account to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Another snowy day in Caithness (1 Viewer)

rin

Didn't have time to try all the high spots of yesterday as I left it a bit too late. Saw another lifer today though and my lifer of yesterday popped up long enough to photograph, so not all bad.

Iceland Gull (lifer) 05.03.06
Herring Gull
Great Black Backed Gull
Black Headed Gull
Gulliemot
Black Gulliemot
Eider
Mallard
Golden Eye
Redshank
Song Thrush
Blackbird
Robin
Dunnock
Starling
Collared Dove
Greylag Geese
Crow
Rook
Carrion Crow
Jackdaw
Sparrow
Chaffinch
Meadow Pippit
Reed Buntings galore
Snow Bunting flocks
Yellowhammer
Skylark
Redwing
Stonechat
Brambling
Snipe
Fieldfare
Lapwing
Oyster Catcher

Here's to next weekend. Don't you hate those early dark nights !

Enjoy birding.

Rin x

Attachments

• iceland-gull.gif
    iceland-gull.gif
    186.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Snipe-in-snow.gif
    Snipe-in-snow.gif
    183.3 KB · Views: 115

kas

You got my gull. I call it mine as I check it every day, but its not really mine. Did you see the first winter as well? I havent seen it since Thursday.

I went up and saw the HIll of Forse Flock as well. Snow Bunting in their hundreds with Chaffinch, brambling and Reed bunting. I met a friend ther and he said the male Hen Harrier was there yesterday. Just shows you what leaving a field of corn can do. The snow was drifting of the fields in srtong winds so I didnt stay out of the car long. Only got up the hill in the snow.
I then had to get dug out at my friends house later in the day.

The whole town has been taken over by Redwings, they are even in the swing parks and my garden.

Glad you had a good weekend. Its a pity we never got more of this weather during the winter.

Attachments

• flock.jpg
    flock.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 2ndwiceland.jpg
    2ndwiceland.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 93
  • RW.jpg
    RW.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 92

Docmartin

Thought Police
Nice Snipe! We're down in tropical Aberdeenshire, and there were Snipe all over the shop today, in ditches, puddles, walking over snow fields, etc. Snow's a bit of a pain, but it doesn't half stir the birds up. Jack Snipe today, too, which was a village tick, and over 300 Fieldfares. One made it to our back garden and defended an apple against all-comers. Blackcap too.

Attachments

• SSCN4571.JPG
    SSCN4571.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 89

rin

kas said:
You got my gull. I call it mine as I check it every day, but its not really mine. Did you see the first winter as well? I havent seen it since Thursday.

The whole town has been taken over by Redwings, they are even in the swing parks and my garden.

QUOTE]

The campsite over looking the beach is swarming with redshanks, oyster catchers, redwing and lapwings. I have never seen so many away from the shore or in the fields in the country, respectively.

Stopped at the coastguard shed to photo a redwing but quite far away and not too clear. Wasn't out for long today but glad I got the Snipe and Iceland. Couldn't get any where close to the snow buntings for the drifting snow, what bitter winds with the drifts. I was frozen. Hope they are still there next weekend.

Didn't see the yellowhammers today.

Thanks for telling me about the Iceland Gull.

:hi:

Catch u during the week.

rin

Docmartin said:
Nice Snipe! We're down in tropical Aberdeenshire, and there were Snipe all over the shop today, in ditches, puddles, walking over snow fields, etc. Snow's a bit of a pain, but it doesn't half stir the birds up. Jack Snipe today, too, which was a village tick, and over 300 Fieldfares. One made it to our back garden and defended an apple against all-comers. Blackcap too.

Lucky you, I was delighted with 'Snipe' and you top that with 'Jack Snipe'.

Haven't seen blackcaps either so that would have been 2 more ticks for me.

Love the snowman. Hope the birds enjoy the raspberry jam.

Rin x

:t:

Users who are viewing this thread