• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Tanzania Bird ID Request (1 Viewer)

bronze sunbird

We saw this bird at Tarangire National Park on Feb 25th, 2015. It's a smallish passerine and from the shape and bill I suspect it's a lark. But I haven't found anything in my field guide with this combination of strong white supercilium and buffy breast with light striping.

Any thoughts?

Anthony

Attachments

• DSC_0832.jpg
    DSC_0832.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 58
Thanks! I took a look at some EBird photos and it does look good for Foxy Lark.

Obviously I need a new field guide. I have been using the Helm Guide to Birds of Kenya & Northern Tanzania (2001). It does not include Foxy Lark or any of its alternate names: Abyssinian Lark, Abyssinian Fawn-coloured Lark or Somali Fawn-coloured Bush-Lark.

Thanks! I took a look at some EBird photos and it does look good for Foxy Lark.

Obviously I need a new field guide. I have been using the Helm Guide to Birds of Kenya & Northern Tanzania (2001). It does not include Foxy Lark or any of its alternate names: Abyssinian Lark, Abyssinian Fawn-coloured Lark or Somali Fawn-coloured Bush-Lark.

In the 1999 edition, published under the Princeton Field Guides imprint (but the same book, in principle) Plate 72, bird 4 (picture) and page 415 (details)?

In the 1999 edition, published under the Princeton Field Guides imprint (but the same book, in principle) Plate 72, bird 4 (picture) and page 415 (details)?

In my book bird #4 on that plate is listed as Fawn-coloured Lark / ssp Mirafra africanoides intercedens. Not much help when I'm looking in the index for Foxy Lark / Calendulauda alopex.

When you get past all the taxonomic flux of the last 20 years it's apparently the same species. Which underlines the point that if I were to go back to East Africa I would need a new field guide.

...'if I were to go back to East Africa I would need a new field guide'

You're in luck! Coming soon (mid November), a new edition of Birds of East Africa, with many new plates and updated text.

https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/field-guide-to-the-birds-of-east-africa-9781472984319/

I have a copy on order Brian, even though I wonder when, even whether, we'll be able to go to Africa again.

And I'm happy for you to see that (if the Amazon illustration is correct) the illustrators get their names in the same size of type as the descriptors.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back