• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another thrush ID from Northern Pakistan (1 Viewer)

gilgit2

I spotted this thrush mixed with Common Starlings (Sturnus vulgaris) and Black-throated Thrushes (Turdus atrogularis) at Borith Lake (36°26'6" N 74°51'40" E, in Northern parts of Pakistan), on 25 November. Unfortunately I was not able to get some clear shots of the bird, the breast/belly streaking and slight rufous coloration (during flight) to the tail seems bit odd for the usual thrushes in the area.

Thanks in advance for help.

Attachments

• 2020-11-25_3H2A3891.JPG
    2020-11-25_3H2A3891.JPG
    455 KB · Views: 76
  • 2020-11-25_3H2A3895.JPG
    2020-11-25_3H2A3895.JPG
    538.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 2020-11-25_3H2A3901.JPG
    2020-11-25_3H2A3901.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 76
Also a Black-throated Thrush - maybe a 1st-winter female?
Its a 1st-w female Black-throated as Andy suggests, age confirmed by clear moult limit in greater coverts. The strength and extent of the breast streaking is a variable feature which can be very marked particularly in 1st-w females. The slightly warmer tone to the underside of the tail is likely due to reflected light IMO.

Grahame

Thank you andyb39 and Grahame for clarifying. I should have been bit obvious for the calls in the field.
Its a 1st-w female Black-throated as Andy suggests, age confirmed by clear moult limit in greater coverts. The strength and extent of the breast streaking is a variable feature which can be very marked particularly in 1st-w females. The slightly warmer tone to the underside of the tail is likely due to reflected light IMO.

Grahame

Apologies Iran, I should have read your opening post more carefully and picked up on the fact that you mentioned seeing rufous in the tail in flight, presumably the upper tail? Since this is clearly visible in all 3 images (above and below) it suggests Red-throated influence so, likely a Red-throated x Black-throated Thrush hybrid.

Grahame

Apologies Iran, I should have read your opening post more carefully and picked up on the fact that you mentioned seeing rufous in the tail in flight, presumably the upper tail? Since this is clearly visible in all 3 images (above and below) it suggests Red-throated influence so, likely a Red-throated x Black-throated Thrush hybrid.

Grahame
Yes, I missed that too.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back