• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another tortrix for id (1 Viewer)

david avis

Birding by name
Catching up with ids for recent trappings, I keep coming unstuck on the tortrixes (tortrices?). From UK moths this looks like Pandemis cinnamomeana, but this doesn't necessarily fit the garden habitat or flight period (this was caught on 10th Aug). Is this actually a Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix?
Sorry it's a rubbish picture.

Attachments

• PICT0074_edited.jpg
    PICT0074_edited.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 62
My money's on cerasana but far from certain. If it's cinnamomeana it would have to be a female, males have white around the head.

For fascia read crossline, in this case the broad darker band. The basal edge of this is angled differently in ceresana and heperana. I still find this hard to see in many of these.

P. heparana is easiest to separate from other Pandemis species by the shape of the basal line, which is curved outwards in the middle.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back