• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Zeiss bino question from a novice (1 Viewer)

Hi Lee, can you also grab a 42-mm-binocular with open bridge design satisfactorily, use open bridge design? I have no little or small hands for a woman, and IPD = 62 mm, this special design does not bring me any advantages with 42-mm-bins. Jessie.
Hi Jessie
I haven't a lot of experience with different models of open-hinge 42mm and I will PM you with more info. Here I will just say that with my SF42mm set to my IPD of 58mm I can easily get the fingers of my right hand down between the barrels and get a good secure grip. Of course there isn't room for the fingers of my left hand as well but I can grip enough of the lefy-hand optical tube to properly support the SFs whether 8x or 10x. I find this grip to be wonderfully secure and comfortable and my first finger lies automatically on the focus wheel so I do not need to shuffle my right hand closer to the eyecups to reach it. This is pretty much the same with SF32.

Lee

I live in the high desert of Idaho (about 4400' ASL). While I prefer an 8x bin (larger FOV), I do have a couple pairs of 10x as well (although one pair are Canon IS). My technique is similar to what was described earlier holding the binoculars with your elbows/upper arms braced against your body. Many years back, a hunter friend showed me a technique that I've used since. If you can wear a ball cap when in the field, use the brim with your fingers on top of the brim and pull it into the binoculars. I'm sure there are pictures of this technique if I'm not explaining it clearly. It essentially welds the binoculars to your head in a similar way as Swarovski's forehead brace they sell for their new binocular. It's really incredible how steadily you can handhold bins with the elbow brace and ball cap. You can also hold your index fingers against your forehead as another point of connection if the hat thing isn't for you.

I live in the high desert of Idaho (about 4400' ASL). While I prefer an 8x bin (larger FOV), I do have a couple pairs of 10x as well (although one pair are Canon IS). My technique is similar to what was described earlier holding the binoculars with your elbows/upper arms braced against your body. Many years back, a hunter friend showed me a technique that I've used since. If you can wear a ball cap when in the field, use the brim with your fingers on top of the brim and pull it into the binoculars. I'm sure there are pictures of this technique if I'm not explaining it clearly. It essentially welds the binoculars to your head in a similar way as Swarovski's forehead brace they sell for their new binocular. It's really incredible how steadily you can handhold bins with the elbow brace and ball cap. You can also hold your index fingers against your forehead as another point of connection if the hat thing isn't for you.
That is a very good idea, and one I have ever seen mentioned. Makes sense, and I will try it soon, just as soon as the weather gets a bit better,
we are getting snow today.
Birds are getting scarce around here, with winter.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back