• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Antbird Colombia (1 Viewer)

49bentley

Canada
Going through my pictures I found these pics and realized that they were miss identified(chestnut-backed antbird). Can someone please identify these birds? They were taken in Colombia in 2019 (in the good old days before covid) in July. I don't have an exact location.
Thanks
Chris

Attachments

• _A0A6867-df.jpg
    _A0A6867-df.jpg
    479.2 KB · Views: 13
  • _A0A6869-de.jpg
    _A0A6869-de.jpg
    593.8 KB · Views: 15
  • _A0A6870-df.jpg
    _A0A6870-df.jpg
    808.4 KB · Views: 17
  • _A0A6871-de.jpg
    _A0A6871-de.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 14
  • _A0A6874-de.jpg
    _A0A6874-de.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 12
  • _A0A6875-df.jpg
    _A0A6875-df.jpg
    745.2 KB · Views: 10
  • _A0A6876-de.jpg
    _A0A6876-de.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 10
Niels, my book shows Chestnut-backed Antbird as having no spots on the wings. Furthermore I have other pics without spots.

Attachments

• _A0A5723-de.jpg
    _A0A5723-de.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 7
  • CAT04162-ls.jpg
    CAT04162-ls.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 7
For completeness, the field guide by Quinones do show the form with spotted wings. It has some other drawbacks such virtually no text and I am still considering if I will need a second field guide to that country.
Niels

Those are definitely tempting. I would say that the one I have is not as bad as I initially thought. :)

Those are definitely tempting. I would say that the one I have is not as bad as I initially thought. :)
I can definitely recommend the new Lynx Edition Colombia Guide. Most thorough and best quality illustrations available. Not quite so suitable for taking out in the field though as it is heavier. That is where the Quinones or McMullan guides come in handy :)

Having done some further research, I have found that the one's with spots are a sub-species of Chestnut-backed Antbird. Thanks Niels for putting doubt into my mind.
IOC has the Colombia/Ecuador (with exception of along Panama border) birds split off as "Short-tailed Antbird" - one of many splits that are a bit dubious in my mind, unless there is solid genetic basis for it.

IOC has the Colombia/Ecuador (with exception of along Panama border) birds split off as "Short-tailed Antbird" - one of many splits that are a bit dubious in my mind, unless there is solid genetic basis for it.
Interesting. They look fairly different in the photos...

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place IOC haven't split it. It looks like HBW may have done though

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place IOC haven't split it. It looks like HBW may have done though
Good catch Larry, my apologies it is indeed HBW that splits it not IOC.

Interesting. They look fairly different in the photos...
Yes, visually they are relatively distinct (for an antbird anyway, and especially the females) but vocally they seem essentially identical and based on my (albeit far from comprehensive) knowledge of Antbird taxonomy vocalizations seem to play a larger role than plumage for splits of cryptic species complexes. At any rate, I'm sure genetic work will confirm one way or the other.

I can definitely recommend the new Lynx Edition Colombia Guide. Most thorough and best quality illustrations available. Not quite so suitable for taking out in the field though as it is heavier. That is where the Quinones or McMullan guides come in handy :)
I have used the McMullan guide to Ecuador with good luck. I could not lay my hands on the Colombia version when i looked around.
Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back