• BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE!

    You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

'Antifreeze' (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Super Moderator
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
United States
I'd sure like to know what is in it first.

A quick search on Google didn't provide any ingredients.
 

LabradorDuck

Well-known member
I wouldn't trust it at all. Maybe they haven't observed any ill effects on the birds (yet?), but I'd be wary of putting yet another random chemical into the environment, especially doing so by feeding it directly to birds at their weakest.
 

mookadabird

Active member
From what I've read on the subject so far, it's most likely glycerin or some glycerin compound. that and food based coloring is my guess. Cornell labs recommends against such anti-freezes in bird baths.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Page.aspx?pid=1144

"Never add antifreeze to the birdbath—it is poisonous to all animals, including birds. Some people use glycerin as a makeshift antifreeze in birdbaths, but we do not recommend it. Glycerin is a low-level toxin—if birds drink too much, it raises their blood sugar so much that they may die. Furthermore, when birds bathe in glycerin-spiked water, their feathers can become saturated and matted, providing poor insulation and leaving them susceptible to hypothermia."

I'd stay clear of it as well.
 

Mary

Registered User
Supporter
I have emailed them to find out. Will let you know if they reply :)

Had a reply already! They say it is a non-toxic plant extract that prevents the water from freezing, but can't say what for commercial reasons.
 
Last edited:

LabradorDuck

Well-known member
They say it is a non-toxic plant extract that prevents the water from freezing, but can't say what for commercial reasons.

Just because it is naturally-occurring and non-toxic doesn't mean it won't be detrimental to birds' feathers. I'd still avoid it unless they can tell you exactly what it is so you can independently verify that it won't be harmful.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top