• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any birding in Rio grande do Norte or Paraiba? (Region Pipa) (1 Viewer)

grapevine

Hi there,
I will be staying in Pipa which is probably a most horrific tourist spot for any native Brasilians... But I simply want a short and preferably sunny holiday and am lacking the time and funds to make a long *off the beaten track trip* like we usually prefer to do.
So, this came up; 2 weeks in Pipa, about 65 km's south of Natal. And as far as I can tell there are at least some nice birds in the region (especially for Europeans like us who aren't used to colourful birds at all).

So, my question - especially to native Brasilians: is there any region/area you can recommend for spotting good birds or wildlife nearby Pipa? We have a hotel for 2 weeks but it is fairly cheap so we don't mind leaving for a few days (even up to a week) to travel to better places by public transport. Any good recommendations? We are willing to travel as far as 500 kms if a place sounds special enough to us.
And if there isn't anything special in the region.. ah well, I guess, we will just have to stay in those hammocks, watch those local specialties, read those books, take a dip in the ocean and have them cold beers by the end of the day... Which doesn't sound too bad either. :)

Thanks in advance for any info! Grapevine

p.s, I will leave some pics (maybe even a tiny tripreport?...)

p.s.2 We've been in Brasil before but that was during a very long trip near the Bolivian border (Noel Kempf, Rio Guapore + Mamore: so that was completely uncomparable to Pipa, both species- as 'atmosphere-wise' I guess..)

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the region, but in coastal NE Brazil most of the forest has been clear cut a long time ago, very little remains. The interior of RGN still has some good patches of the semi-arid formation called caatinga. Try contacting Ciro Albano (he is a member of Birdforum and a birding guide in NE Brazil):
http://www.nebrazilbirding.com

Dalcio

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back