• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any EL optical improvements since c2016? (1 Viewer)

matt green

Norfolkman gone walkabout
Just wondering if any of our more informed members might know if there has been any optical improvements in EL42 since around 2016?

I currently have an 8.5x42 listed, possibly aiming for a new 10x42 as my eyes tell me there is neglidgable difference between the 8x32 and see little point in the larger 42mm in 8.5x magnification..I do however have an itch for a 10x42 any wonder what marginal gains a newer EL might provide.

Not even remotely interested in the NL as that particular shelf is way beyond my reach!

Matt

Just wondering if any of our more informed members might know if there has been any optical improvements in EL42 since around 2016?...

I don't think so. I've not heard of any. As I recall, 2016 is just a bit after the switch to the FP version. I think late production prior to FP had the same optics/coatings as well as the same improved smooth focus action. As noted by PYRTLE, the most recent "Legend" version is a step back in close focus spec, which will have you literally taking a few steps backward if you want to look at butterflies etc with those bins at their close focus limit.

--AP

Thanks both, yes shame about the reduced focus but the lowered price makes up for it..unless perhaps insects etc are your primory interest.

Will likely try and track down a good used close focusing 10x42 EL with plenty of warrenty left, assuming I can find a buyer for my 8.5x42!

Matt

Hey Matt, I do think that improved coatings have made a difference. I recently tried both a 2018 and 2018 8.5x42 EL and in low sunlight, I’m pretty sure I could tell a difference in glare reduction in the newer one. It sure looked like the 201& had more milky, veiling, glare. The ‘19 had the close focusing distance still.

Reduced close-focus of the EL 42mms... Did Swarovski do this? Yes.
Does it MATTER is the question...

Lets consider some of my absolute favorite birding binoculars have a CF of around 10ft to about 13ft!

Leica UVHD+ 7X42- 10.8ft!
Leica Retrovid 7X35- 13.12ft!
Swarovski SLC New 7X42- 13ft!
Swarovski SLC B 8X42- 10.5ft!

And the binocular you are considering...
Swarovski 10X42 EL WB Legend- 10.8ft!!!!

I've never missed not being able to focus closer! Never! If I am looking at a BIRD...I'm using just my eyes if it's that close. Also consider...10ft with a 10X binocular is pretty dang close for that magnification. I wouldn't give it a second thought....I'd get a brand new EL 10X42. Swarovski also has a reputation for slight coating improvements with the latest productions.

Hey Matt, I do think that improved coatings have made a difference. I recently tried both a 2018 and 2018 8.5x42 EL and in low sunlight, I’m pretty sure I could tell a difference in glare reduction in the newer one. It sure looked like the 201& had more milky, veiling, glare. The ‘19 had the close focusing distance still.

I have tried to understand what you compared with what: my guess is that it was 2017 with 2019.

Assuming any optical coating upgrades have been made throughout the EL range maybe this explains why I can't see any difference in light gathering between a 2016 8.5x42 and a 2020 8x32, maybe even the 8x32 is a tiny bit sharper than the older 8.5x42.

...or maybe my c1975 eyes can't tell the difference anyway!!

Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back