• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any idea what this little yellow Bird is? -USA (1 Viewer)

Hi I found this little yellow bird and I'm thinking warbler or goldfinch but I dont know which one! can you help? It was found in wyoming. (sorry, I tried to crop it but it wasn't) working
CSC_4046.JPG

Where in Wyoming? The yellowish warblers can be tricky, so exact location is a useful clue. I'll start the guessing with female American Redstart (common in most of Wyoming, but not near the southern border of the state). Did you get a look at the tail?

I would suggest a female/young male Magnolia Warbler. The wing bars are a bit too prominent for Nashville and the overall feel to me suggests Magnolia.

This looks like a pretty obvious Yellow Warbler to me. Small but visible eye-ring, dull yellowish throughout, with yellow wing bars.

I am hesitant to wade in here but I think for a northern yellow warbler to have a white eye ring is unusual. And it does seem to have all the features of a female magnolia, though a bit of streaking on the throat, upper belly would have been nice. The two do look very similar though. But on location I would think put it as a magnolia. But I am hoping to learn here.

I take Butty's point and stand corrected about the eye ring. I found a photo in ebird of an immature yellow warbler taken in Alaska that looked alot like the OPs. Thanks and happy to be corrected:)

Undertail-coverts here are yellow; white in magnolia warbler. So... apparently not magnolia warbler.
Despite my previous first thought, I agree with Butty that Yellow Warbler is right. The difference in the undertail coverts is a helpful point which seems to hold true in nearly all ages and plumages of the two species.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back