• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas as to ID, please (1 Viewer)

IamFof

England
I found this while wandering through a new, to me, Nature Reserve, in S Cornwall.
Plant is approx. 5' (150cm) tall, with opposite, compound leaves on long stems.
New stems look like the Croziers found on ferns.
Old dead stems very similar to old dead fern fronds.
Any ideas?

Thanks
Fof

P1060141 - small.jpgP1060148 - small.jpgP1060171 - small.jpgP1060177 - small.jpgP1060182 - small.jpgP1060186 - small.jpgP1060197 - small.jpg

Royal fern. Nothing else like it in UK as far as I know, although I thought it always grew in more-or-less marshy places. Maybe it don't!

Royal fern. Nothing else like it in UK as far as I know, although I thought it always grew in more-or-less marshy places. Maybe it don't!
Thanks, Butty
I've never seen a fern that grew a "flower". They have all produced spores from sori on the leaves.
This is growing in a mixed deciduous wood surrounding a reservoir, so the water table can't be too far down.

Just needs damp soil so doesn't have to be marshy as such, but often in ditches & the like. As you say quite unique amongst our native ferns but is also often planted in gardens & parks so may naturalise outside its normal, natural distribution, though Cornwall is a good area for it to be native.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back