• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any ideas? - Irvine Coast, Ayrshire, Scotland (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

This, I believe, is the most sensible opinion voiced on this marvellous thread so far!

Jolly well done Liam old chap! :t:

And what a SUPERB introduction to page 7!

Prizes should be given! :brains::loveme::kiss:

If anyone were to come in "cold" to this thread, they would understand immediately what was going on.

Without having to resort to reading everything.

Genius! :t:

PS hghoidfh! ;)

As to my admission of guilt? Lies for fun! :t:

So there you have it, folks. A self-confessed liar versus someone who's only ever been straightforward and honest.

I'm doomed, aren't I?

;)

Changing tack - we can [sometimes] agree [on some things] - I too believe anyone coming in "cold" to this thread wouldn't need to read the whole thing to get what was going on. All they'd have to do was look at Post 1, see the picture of the Cormorant, and they'd understand everything! :-O

CM :cool:

White-Tailed Eagle?

Raven?

All help appreciated!

No help with the wheres and whens then?

Its a long-winged raptor with two smaller corvids in attendance. Could well be W-T Eagle and a couple of 'friendly' Ravens. Could be Marsh Harrier and Carrion Crows or Rooks - maybe even Hen Harrier. Wings too long for Buzzard [and corvids too big unless Jackdaws] and Osprey would show more body [and likely feet] protruding underneath, plus wings held too flat and straight, I think?

So? Why not kill 3 birds

Phil, you have no idea how disgusted I am!

How dare you insinuate the idea of killing a poor innocent bird! And worse than that THREE!

Are you now suggesting holding these birds hostage until we accept your foolhardy notion that the bird in question is a Black-throated Diver!

This behaviour appalls me, and degrades the standards of all birdwatchers!

And what about the birds, after you have killed these three birds, will you go to their funerals? Will you laugh as their poor limp bodies are dragged apart by vultures, will you comfort their crying orphans, or will you slaughter the entire bloody lot!

I am so appalled, I really think the powers that be should drag you out of your bed at midnight and but a bullet in the back of your head, or at the very least ban yu from all conversations on birdforum!;)

You and your black-throated diver posse will never threaten the lives of birds or birdwatchers again!

Phil, you have no idea how disgusted I am!

How dare you insinuate the idea of killing a poor innocent bird! And worse than that THREE!

Are you now suggesting holding these birds hostage until we accept your foolhardy notion that the bird in question is a Black-throated Diver!

This behaviour appalls me, and degrades the standards of all birdwatchers!

And what about the birds, after you have killed these three birds, will you go to their funerals? Will you laugh as their poor limp bodies are dragged apart by vultures, will you comfort their crying orphans, or will you slaughter the entire bloody lot!

I am so appalled, I really think the powers that be should drag you out of your bed at midnight and put a bullet in the back of your head, or at the very least ban you from all conversations on birdforum!;)

You and your black-throated diver posse will never threaten the lives of birds or birdwatchers again!

Hear! Hear!
:clap:

Jolly well done, Liam old chap! :t:

:-O

CM :cool:

For what it is worth, I was along the coast from here last week and saw black throated diver - difficult to tell in this photo though but neck does seem uniformly thick along the length.

The first bird - if anyone can remember back that far / hasn't gone ga-ga in the mean time ( you know who you are;) ) is / was ( it's probably dead of old age by now :-C ) a Black-throated Diver.

Your 3 birds are nothing more than Common Sh*te-Hawks, Phil. :-O :t:
Chris

No help with the wheres and whens then?

Its a long-winged raptor with two smaller corvids in attendance. Could well be W-T Eagle and a couple of 'friendly' Ravens. Could be Marsh Harrier and Carrion Crows or Rooks - maybe even Hen Harrier. Wings too long for Buzzard [and corvids too big unless Jackdaws] and Osprey would show more body [and likely feet] protruding underneath, plus wings held too flat and straight, I think?

Where? Some hippy's MySpace. When? Last night. Don't look at the detail. Look at the bigger picture. IT'S A SMILEY!

As self appointed judge, jury and executioner, I declare in favour of a Black-throated Cormorant, the sentence is a slap round the jaw with a wet fish, and I can't be bothered to administer the punishments myself so you'd better get on with it yourselves.

I'm not EVEN going to reply to this outrage!!!

So here goes! ;):-O

It's your fault for going birding that you missed the fun Tom!
So don't come whinging and blubbering back to the good people on this thread with your "keep it in the real world" type of nonsense! Honestly, you people! B :)

And why are you trying "cogent arguments"? Are you now trying to claw this thread back to your "so-called version of reality??? :egghead:

Maybe this thread ought to put on a suit & tie now, and get an office job?
Is that what you want?

How could you even think that!

As to my admission of guilt? Lies for fun! :t:

As to my number skills? Twice I've lied about the thread coming up while it's already started! And LOOONG after it's started, to make peeps think I'm NUTS! ;)

It's called "The Only Thread on the ID Forum Where You Can Let Off Steam", and boy! Is it a WELCOME THREAd!!!!!!

TRUST NO-ONE ON THIS THREAD! :C

Oh! And I believe Cactus Dave was telling the truth about his bird and the photo being the same. A Black-Throated Diver!

In defence of Dave, I think that's not a cool thing to do!
(SLAPPED WRIST SMILEY comin' atcha!)

BTD POSSE IN DA PHAT THREAD!

Hi Phil,

Please be carefull with the information you give about yourself. Too much info on your skills & abilities could seriously damage your insanity plea when your up before the beak, the right honourable Nick Derry.;)

BTW, It's a Cormorant.:smoke:

Cheers, Neil.

Probably time to knock this thread on the head. The initial i.d. is unlikely to be resolved after this duration of scrutiny.
Thanks for your input.
Andy
Admin

Noone will ever be 100% what this is from that picture ..its the Ayshire thingy .. to be honest if i took a picture of this bird ,when i got home and uploaded the image to my p.c i would immediately delete it and wouldnt bother folk with a blur .. if noone told you it was a bird you wouldnt even be 100% sure that it was ..a challenge is 1 thing ..but speculation for speculations sake with no definate answer is pointless..sry

I thought this had been "put to bed" as a "dunno".!

.. probably best to leave it there, Phil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back