• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
Feel the intensity, not your equipment. Maximum image quality. Minimum weight. The new ZEISS SFL, up to 30% less weight than comparable competitors.

Any other strap options that fit RY clips? (1 Viewer)

eitanaltman

Is anyone aware of other straps that fit the Rick Young ultralight harness clips?

I really like the RY harness but wouldn’t mind being able to quickly swap to a standard strap at times. However those little clips mounted on the ring effectively means the only option for a quick swap would be something else with the identical clip interface.

Does this exist or is the RY harness a totally closed system with only one option?

chill6x6

Is anyone aware of other straps that fit the Rick Young ultralight harness clips?

I really like the RY harness but wouldn’t mind being able to quickly swap to a standard strap at times. However those little clips mounted on the ring effectively means the only option for a quick swap would be something else with the identical clip interface.

Does this exist or is the RY harness a totally closed system with only one option?

So at Rick Young Outdoors you can buy extra "clips." These come as a complete 2-piece male/female unit. So with some zip-ties I don't see why you couldn't attach a male piece to just about any harness you choose.

PhilR.

So at Rick Young Outdoors you can buy extra "clips." These come as a complete 2-piece male/female unit. So with some zip-ties I don't see why you couldn't attach a male piece to just about any harness you choose.

That is exactly what we do. Well, with the exception of using small snap-rings instead of zip-ties. Buy a pack of small blued or blackened rings and just thread them on your neckstraps, and then attach the male portion of the RY clip system. We have these on all of our neckstraps, so we can instantly change from harness to strap, or vice-versa.

paddy7

Possibly a strange arrangement and it might not suit you, but i have all my bins set up the same way. I use Optech Adapt-its passed through the binocular lug. I think these are produced for cameras, but i remember a post long back regarding the risks of metal-on-metal to the lug itself. Adapt-its are rubber.

Attached to this, i use Nite-ize lockable S-Biners. This is a double-sided carabiner, that you can lock shut. I use the smallest - can't remember the size number at the moment, but they have never let me down.
With this arrangement, i seem to be able to attach anything to anything, strap-wise, and also attach the rainguard to the S-Biner (and remove it easily if not needed). I actually use RY harnesses exclusively, and will never use a standard lanyard strap again. (I reckon Rick should sponsor me!)
I think i cobbled this together from two separate suggestions in a thread on harnesses/straps about 5 years ago, initially as an experiment. It worked so well, everything is set up the same way now.
I think the RY harness terminated in an O ring (metal); i removed that, and just pass the plastic clip above it into the S-Biner.
Also - not expensive to set up!
Might be more complex than you're looking for, but might help....

PhilR.

but i remember a post long back regarding the risks of metal-on-metal to the lug itself. Adapt-its are rubber.

We don’t like metal on metal either, so we use lug connectors to attach a split-ring to our bino’s strap lugs. Either the strap type, or the rubber type sold by Maven. All our binos except the Retrovid has a female RY harness clip attached in this manner.

eitanaltman

Somehow I totally forgot to respond to this thread and thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions.

So, in sum, it sounds like the RY clips are proprietary so there are no alternate options that natively interface..... but with some extra clips, a bit of gumption, and a plucky attitude, you can make any strap or harness work.

I had already ordered some of the little RY rubber strap connector loops (their size and function looked more appealing than the Vortex connector strap) with the intention of moving away from metal-on-metal with split rings (which I hate). I also have some Op/Tech utility loop connectors, plenty of zip ties, and will order some Adapt-Its to play with and also some of those mini lockable S-Biners which look like they will be very useful for other applications as well!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread