• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any point to putting out bluebird feeder if already have tons of bluebirds? (1 Viewer)

Greetings all!

I live in a rural area north of Santa Barbara, California, USA. We are blessed with a ton of western bluebirds, fortunately. Twenty-five yrs ago, as a house warming gift, my brother gave me a decorative birdhouse he made that was probably the wrong dimensions for bluebirds, but I put it up anyway. It remained (as far as I know) vacant for decades until a few yrs ago, I blocked up the original entry hole and drilled in an entry hole of the correct dimensions (and got rid of the perch). Well, that did the trick: The house was occupied last season, and I just saw a female bluebird go in it and not come out for as long as I watched.

So then I think, "well, maybe it would be nice of me to provide the new residents with a feeder." And I am happy to do so, but since we have tons of bluebirds around anyway, they obviously have more than enough stuff to eat. So what are your thoughts? Let them make do with the natural forage, safe in the knowledge they won't starve, or really nurture the heck out of them by putting a feeder nearby? I suspect they can find food all year round around here, but I could help them out by putting out a feeder just during winter.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts!

Otherchuck

Bird feeders are mainly to bring the birds to where you can easily see them. The best way to help any species of bird is to plant things that either produce their food, or attract things they eat. Human feeding of wild animals should never go to an extent that boosts the population of the animals past what the area can normally support. The only time it should be a significant part of their diet is in unusual climate swings, like unseasonal freezes.

The best way to help the bluebirds is plant native plants that benefit them. If you want to add a feeder so you can watch them eating, go right ahead! But recognize that the main benefit is to you, not the birds. Though I'm sure they appreciate the snacks.

Bluebirds really like mealworms. You can get big bags of dried mealworms and put out a dish feeder with some of those, and hopefully they'll come for it. A practically guaranteed attractant is live mealworms, but that gets real pricy to maintain.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back