• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any thoughts on the Nikon Fieldscope ED 60 with the independent eyepeices x20 x40 x60 (1 Viewer)

tonytoned

I think it's the earlier version. Any good? Being Nikon I should think it's not bad. Has anyone owned or used one.

All help would be much appreciated many thanks.20210719_194940.jpg

Looks like a nice condition Mki series. It should be reasonable, but I don't think they were multicoated despite the ED glass, and also not waterproof. I happily used an EDii for a few years before upgrading to the EDiii series (50, 60 and 82mm).
If it is less than £150, it could be worth a punt - I think I paid about that for an EDii in reasonable condition with a zoom and 20x. One caveat, I believe I am correct in stating that the newer eyepieces for EDiii won't fit this, so optical performance is never going to be upgraded beyond coatings of the same era.

Hi.

I have still got my Fieldscope MK1 ED 60. Also have the ED82.

I still think in comparison the MK1 ED 60 is a fantastic little scope, sharp to the edges and good contrast.

The only eyepieces of use are the x15 and x20 though, the x30 and x40 have a very narrow FOV and the x60 is painful to look through.

Lack of waterproofing is sometimes a pain, however, I only bird in the rain professionally so never really been concerned over the 15+years I have owned the MK1 ED 60.

TBH I would probably advise getting an MKIII ED 60 where available, as they are waterproof, have better coatings and allow the use of the more modern wide angle eye pieces.

However, if you can get a good MK1 ED 60 sample at a decent price, it could be worth well worth having. All depends on what you can afford I suppose.

I can't bring myself to sell my MK1 ED 60, as still love the view that it provides ☺️

Thank you Ivydwg. That is very helpful, as you say I can imagine 60x being terrible.
It's not that it is terrible, more the eye strain is bad, at least for me.

Think I have seen the scope you mean on the bay. That would be a good price as it stands if all in good working order.

I would want more photos though.

As already noted by others, this mk 1 ED scope will not work with most of the eyepieces that fit later Fieldscopes, including all WF/MC/DS fixed eyepieces and all zoom eyepieces. The one exception is that the 24x WF/MC eyepieces will fit, and either the WF or MC would be very nice if you could find one. They provide the same true FOV of the 20x regular fixed eyepiece but at a slightly higher magnification. That eyepiece is also very nice, with good eye relief for glasses. It is the one I use with my mk 1 nonED Fieldscope, which works beautifully for me as a dedicated car window mount scope. The other regular (nonWF/MC/DS series) fixed eyepieces are optically excellent but have narrow FOV and poor eye relief.

If you want to use anything other than a 20x (or 24x) fixed eyepiece, get the Fieldscope II ED instead. Or get the Fieldscope III, which is fully multicoated, better waterproofed, and has a built-in hood. I think the version II is the best value because they regularly come up on eBay for $300 or less, in pristine condition, and including one or more eyepieces. The fixed 30x WF is my favorite on that scope, but any of the traditional (i.e. non Monarch or EDG) fixed or zoom Fieldscope eyepieces will fit, and it is available as straight or angled.

--AP

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back