• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Poland in 2008? (1 Viewer)

Suffolkringer

Inland birding is hard work!!
Hi there

Just wandering if anyone has been birding in Poland yet for Spring 2008?

I am going in a few days and wouldn't mind any latest tips!

Cheers
Jon

We're off there a week today! No up to date news, but we've hopefully got a guide for a Great Snipe lek, and having spoken to a chap who's been a few times, it sounds like the woodpeckers just require patience, perseverence and a little luck.

Relaxed.

Well I would love to see the Great Snipe especially now I have listened to my CD and heard the song (if you can call it a song) its a pretty mental noise! Might get myself a guide when I am out there.

Anyway, I shall be taking it very easy, plan to do lots of walking and finding my own birds. I am just going to enjoy what I see and not worry about what I am not seeing. Just brought my jungle formula :D

Good luck mate.

All the best
Jon

I invite you to the East of Poland, great sightings.

Maybe you will be the lucky guys and see the Roller (It's a top topic to protect that bird from extinction in Poland) :)

Cheers

Kris

Just back from guiding two trips to Poland. As always, a beautiful contry with incredible birding. Nine sp. of woodpecker seen at Bialowieza (no less than 5 territories for White-backed) along with Pygmy & Tengmalm's at the nest, Citrine Wags at Siemianwka and at least 8 Great Snipes at the lek site. Lots of Barred and River Warblers arrived on the 12th / 13th as did RB Flys. Biebrza highlights included Aquatic Warblers, Marsh Sand, Spotted Eagle and a stunning displaying male Pallid Harrier that is holding territory about 35km from Goniadz. Also saw a single Roller at a site near Bialystok. Off to Finland and Norway on Friday but I'll try and get some images and a brief trip report posted to www.shetlandwildlife.co.uk/news before I go.

Hugh

I'm going on Friday so any more info greatly appreciated...

ATB

Robin

Anything in particular? Just got back last night - woodpeckers mostly in the strict reserve, so you'll need a guide, but we had great views of WBW just off the Zebra Zubra boardwalk, and also saw Nutcracker and Hazelhen well about 20k from Bialowieza village. Great Snipe lek visited but heard only in wet and breezy weather. Let me know if you want more detailed gen.

Just back from a great weeks birding in Poland. Seen some quality birds despite the awful weather. Highlights were two pairs of Citrine Wagtails, Pygmy Owl, male Pallid Harrier, Three-toed WP, White-backed WP in 5 locations, Nutcracker, Hazel Hen, Bee-Eater, Aquatic Warbler, Great Snipe and many more. The numbers of birds were incredible. Rosefinches, Icterine Warblers and Thrush Nightingales were singing everywhere, in one location we observed > 500 WWB Terns. If anyone needs more detailed information please contact me.
Many thanks to all the BF-members who have helped me to organise our trip.

Shame that one or two of the more regular BF contributors didn't even bother replying to my request for info when I was planning the trip (despite getting loads of information for their own Poland trip on this forum).

Will post a detailed report with some pics in a while. It will take me a while to get through all the pictures and the write-up though !

Hello everyone,
Im just back from 6 days Birding in Poland. Fantastic country but the weather wasn't too kind to us either.Birding at times was fantastic and at other times extremely hard work.
Highlights included the male Pallid Harrier sky danceing which was worth the price of the trip alone, 6 or so Great Snipe, a male Citrine Wagtail landing on the path 20 feet away from us, Pygmy Owl eating a mouse/vole, excellent views of Aquatic Warblers and Three Toed, White Backed and Lesser Spotted Woodpeckers at the nest.We also seen three or so Greater Spotted Eagles. We also had a singing Greenish Warbler.
We just had one Hazel Hen which was flushed and only a few of the group seen it but we dipped on Nutcracker. We didn't see Grey headed Woodpecker although we did hear one, did anyone else see any?
Where else in Europe would you have River Warbler, Marsh Warbler, Thrush Nightingale, Scarlet Rosefinch, Goshwak, Barred Warbler, Collared Flycatcher etc and Beaver all within 200 metres of your guesthouse?

Derek

Just back as well, and although we don't seem to have had the same success as some of you we had afantastic time! We dipped WB Pecker - they had let the two nests we went for, and couldn't find a guide to take us to Great Snipe. We only heard a Pygmy Owl.

Still, I had twenty lifers and the best ever views of many more species. The whole experience was fantastic.

I too got the Pallid Harrier and we had incredible good fortune to have a Hazel Grouse walk out twenty feet in front of us on the Bison's Ribs trail, mid afternoon! Most satisfying was finding a Bee Eater at a site that just looked worth checking!

Also hard to beat we the Beaver in the pond where we were staying...

Please ask for any info...

ATB

Robin

Great country but be very much aware not to take a private taksi in Warszawa!!!! Take an official one and ask for their prices.

Higlights were Short-toed Eagle, a definite Spotted Eagle, displaying Jack Snipe, Mole crickets, 5 passing Citrine Wagtail in just 2 hours, 15 ish Aquatic Warbler, 4 calling Little Crake with two birds at less than 2,5 metres distance in full sight, finding a Black Storks nest, hearing and recording two Wolfs, a ton of Marsh Terns, 11 places with Barred Warbler, a total of 5 Three toed Woodies with 4 in only one day, a White backed Woodie at less than three metres, Grey headed, finding many Middle Spotted, few Beeeaters heard, recording singing Tawney pipit, Ortolan Bunting, had Pygmy owl at three different locations (credits to Arek Shmura for the first) and, oh boy, I am in love with this song, finding two Blyth's Reed, but the list continues.
Saw only a Bison's ass and found a huge bone of it which showed the jawpressure of Wolf.
All set in a beatiful decoration of wonderful habitat with mjummy vegetation and trees.
Stunnin'

Last edited:
Hello, I just replied in private. The bird was seen 30st of April during my first of two journey's, so it may well have been a wandering bird.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back