• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else doing/done a Big Green Big Year? (1 Viewer)

streatham

I have just started my BGBY for 2009. So far a rather paltry 30 species but I don't think I will be digging my bicycle out for a while so it's all walking right now (best bird so far are the pair of Black Vultures that I got yesterday - still uncommon in the state even with recent range expansions). Can't really list in a vacuum so I am hoping there are some fellow bigbyers out there.

Luke
www.underclearskies.com

Last edited:
Thanks Dan,

A little bit apples and oranges to compare but the camaraderie will keep me going through the long periods of getting nothing new to add - I am already dreading summer!

Luke

There's a thread started up here;

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=132345

Listing in a vaccuum must be possible (providing there's enough oxygen ;) ), but obviously more interesting if done with others . . . see you there.

You mean to say you're keeping a 'Fruit List' this year?? :eek!:

;) . . . seriously, don't think it'll matter too much if it was apples, pears or even bananas. Someone in rural Wisconsin is going to be in as much a different situation as someone in New York State with access to good public transport as someone is in the uk with access to decent habitat and or local public transport nearby . . . Florida or Texas might get more interesting, but to be successful bigby style? A bit more awkward?? . . .

ie it's mostly all temperate northern hemisphere . . . some of the species will be different (ok lots then), some the same, but interesting to see if the numbers end up similar . . .

Well, most of New York State does not have public transport. I did a Bigby last year here in upstate NY and the best I could do is about 145. Many hills and long distances to reach and good birding areas. But I would say that someone near the coast would do much better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back