• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (3 Viewers)

And finally:

Boeing B17G Flying Fortress

Fourteen Supermarine Spitfires

Supermarine Spitfire LFVb (newly restored veteran of the Malta air battles) X 2

The Red Arrows

Attachments

• 20160911 (138).JPG
    20160911 (138).JPG
    186 KB · Views: 85
  • 20160911 (142).JPG
    20160911 (142).JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20160911 (159a).jpg
    20160911 (159a).jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20160911 (185).JPG
    20160911 (185).JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 20160911 (209)_The_Red_Arrows.JPG
    20160911 (209)_The_Red_Arrows.JPG
    129 KB · Views: 92
Duxford Battle of Britain air display today and it did not disappoint with plenty of good stuff on view. As well as a large formation of Spits there were several other groups of aircraft including one of an impressive six Hurricanes. I took over seven hundred pictures and even after deleting many images was left with over four hundred so a pretty good day. The pictures are, the Diamond Nine Tiger Moth team, flock of Spits and Hurricanes, B17 with two C47s and a (or should that be the) Bristol Blenheim and more Spitfires.

James.

Attachments

• 217.JPG
    217.JPG
    437.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 413.JPG
    413.JPG
    377.1 KB · Views: 55
  • 175.JPG
    175.JPG
    451.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 367.JPG
    367.JPG
    447 KB · Views: 51
  • 447.JPG
    447.JPG
    411.2 KB · Views: 56
Duxford Battle of Britain air display today and it did not disappoint with plenty of good stuff on view. As well as a large formation of Spits there were several other groups of aircraft including one of an impressive six Hurricanes. I took over seven hundred pictures and even after deleting many images was left with over four hundred so a pretty good day. The pictures are, the Diamond Nine Tiger Moth team, flock of Spits and Hurricanes, B17 with two C47s and a (or should that be the) Bristol Blenheim and more Spitfires.

James.

There appears to be a non-Tiger Moth in the formation - it lacks the slight sweepback of the others.... Cirrus? Gypsy? Or just Moth?
MJB

There appears to be a non-Tiger Moth in the formation - it lacks the slight sweepback of the others.... Cirrus? Gypsy? Or just Moth?
MJB

Both the Cirrus and the Gypsy Moth have the engine the other way up so that the prop emerges low down on the nose, so its neither of those. Looks odd though. It's only the upper mainplane that seems to be different?

Any other pix, maybe showing the registration?

Edit: a quick Google suggests this is a Moth Major i.e. a DH 60 with a Gypsy Major engine.

John

Last edited:
Well spotted folks, the cuckoo in that nest was a Moth Major which I think has been newly restored and was invited to perform with the other aircraft. A few other images below.

James.

Attachments

• 202.JPG
    202.JPG
    466.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 243.JPG
    243.JPG
    425.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 286.JPG
    286.JPG
    368.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 334.JPG
    334.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 66
  • 316.JPG
    316.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 55
Just spotted this thread, and would like to confess I'm addicted to both birds and planes. Apart from birding my other great interest is flying radio controlled sailplanes. There is nothing like sharing a thermal with a couple of buzzards and watching them effortlessly out climb your model!

Cheers!
Gary

Nice sonic boom in south Norfolk (and Suffolk) this morning. Appears to have been caused by two F-15's intercepting a Ryanair plane from Lithuania.

Correction: Eurofighter not F-15's. Full story:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-41496812

Just to make it clear: British sovereign airspace is defended by the RAF, whose air defence fighter is the Eurofighter Typhoon. Immediate threats are met by aircraft specifically detailed for QRA - Quick Reaction Alert. QRA aircraft and crews are available 24/7.

The USAF F15s (no apostrophe ;)) based in the UK do not stand QRA and would require a specific release from MOD to do so or to conduct live intercepts in UK airspace. It's not their country.

John

Just to make it clear: British sovereign airspace is defended by the RAF, whose air defence fighter is the Eurofighter Typhoon. Immediate threats are met by aircraft specifically detailed for QRA - Quick Reaction Alert. QRA aircraft and crews are available 24/7.

The USAF F15s (no apostrophe ;)) based in the UK do not stand QRA and would require a specific release from MOD to do so or to conduct live intercepts in UK airspace. It's not their country.

John

Why no apostrophe John, one F15, two F15's no?

A

Why no apostrophe John, one F15, two F15's no?

A

No, the apostrophe in that sense is used to denote belonging, e.g. the F15's weapons (note no apostrophe in weapons which is a plural). One F15: two F15s.

I'm no grammarian but I get utterly fed up with this widespread erroneous usage. Fair play to you, best to ask the question and get an answer! :t:

John

John

Thanks. The Eagles are a near daily sight over my house, while the Eurofighter Typhoons are much scarcer locally. At least that adds one to my garden list:

-Eurofighter Typhoon
-F15
-F22
-KC10
-KC135
-E3
-C5
-C130
-UH60
-MV22

No, the apostrophe in that sense is used to denote belonging, e.g. the F15's weapons (note no apostrophe in weapons which is a plural). One F15: two F15s.

I'm no grammarian but I get utterly fed up with this widespread erroneous usage. Fair play to you, best to ask the question and get an answer! :t:

John

I really struggle with the issue of apostrophes John. Bloody great photographs by the way. Love the Lanc, Me109s and Spitfire photographs especially.

I really struggle with the issue of apostrophes John. Bloody great photographs by the way. Love the Lanc, Me109s and Spitfire photographs especially.

Thank you very much!

I've just remembered my old English teacher's advice (I mean my long past English teacher, not Old English teacher or elderly English teacher) on apostrophes: if in doubt, leave it out! :t:

G' night all. 3:)

John

Though in the case of e.g. F15s, I can see an argument for using an apostrophe. 'F15s' could be an error for a single F15S (presumably a very late mark of the F15, perhaps the ultimate development of the F15E Strike Eagle), rather than plural F15's of unspecified mark, doesn't the apostrophe make it clearer that the latter meaning is intended?

Yours, A. Devils-Advocate Esq.

To add to Farnboro John's wise suggestion, one easy rule is that simple plurals never have apostrophes. This avoids what has been called the 'Greengrocer's apostrophe' (for example, pear's, apple's, banana's....).:t:

MJB

To add to Farnboro John's wise suggestion, one easy rule is that simple plurals never have apostrophes. This avoids what has been called the 'Greengrocer's apostrophe' (for example, pear's, apple's, banana's....).:t:

MJB

Unless the shop was owned by a family which would then be Pears' which rather than indicate 'belonging to', tells us that there is more than one, thus plural, Pear in the business or have I got that round my neck?

A

Last edited:
Unless the shop was owned by a family which would then be Pears' which rather than indicate 'belonging to', tells us that there is more than one, thus plural, Pear in the business or have I got that round my neck? A

Yes, Andy, you've hit exactly on the difference between a simple plural and a possessive plural, for " Pears' " isn't a simple plural, it's a possessive plural, which as you say indicates 'belonging to'.

I always look for any possessive indication while writing or reading so that I can sort out in my mind which it might be. With practice, it becomes automatic.
MJB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back