• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (2 Viewers)

This being school vacation week I took my 2 teenage boys to the New England Air Museum https://www.neam.org/

A restored B-29 takes up one whole hanger. We have been through B-17s and B-24's in the past. The B-29 sure is impressively larger. We were able to look into the flight deck from the bomb bay doors.

The Sikorsky VS-44A flying boat is also very impressive.

It was fun to see a DC-3 and in front of it a Lockheed 10-A 'Electra'

Lots of other prop and jet fighters.

The link above has photos of their planes on display.

An A-10A Warthog is currently in the restoration hanger so we couldn't see it.

They also have some waiting to be restored planes out on the field. This Martin RB-57A 'Canberra' is looking a bit sad.

Looking forward to visiting again in maybe a year. It's a 2 hour drive each way.

Attachments

• 2018 02 21 12 14 19.JPG
    2018 02 21 12 14 19.JPG
    275.2 KB · Views: 76
  • 2018 02 21 12 59 58.JPG
    2018 02 21 12 59 58.JPG
    489.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 2018 02 21 13 35 40.JPG
    2018 02 21 13 35 40.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 82
  • 2018 02 21 13 37 05.JPG
    2018 02 21 13 37 05.JPG
    300.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 2018 02 21 13 51 08.JPG
    2018 02 21 13 51 08.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 71
This being school vacation week I took my 2 teenage boys to the New England Air Museum https://www.neam.org/

A restored B-29 takes up one whole hanger. We have been through B-17s and B-24's in the past. The B-29 sure is impressively larger. We were able to look into the flight deck from the bomb bay doors.

The Sikorsky VS-44A flying boat is also very impressive.

It was fun to see a DC-3 and in front of it a Lockheed 10-A 'Electra'

Lots of other prop and jet fighters.

The link above has photos of their planes on display.

An A-10A Warthog is currently in the restoration hanger so we couldn't see it.

They also have some waiting to be restored planes out on the field. This Martin RB-57A 'Canberra' is looking a bit sad.

Looking forward to visiting again in maybe a year. It's a 2 hour drive each way.

Ah yes, the license-built version of the legendary English Electric Canberra! One USAF general is supposed to have commented, after Roland Beamont had first completed all the required manoeuvres in the fly-off in half the time of the American competitors and then beaten hell out of the airfield for the rest of his allotted time: "Kinda big for a pursuit ship, isn't it?" (The competition was for a bomber....)

Great photos BTW.

John

I know I've posted pics of one of these on here before, but this time it was taken from the garden.

Attachments

• IMG_7885.JPG
    IMG_7885.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 70
There's been a few interesting tv programmes on aircraft recently there was a fascinating documentary on the history of British Airways which has always been my favourite airline (always was when I younger) and a programme about EasyJet Pilots. Just booked a ticket to this year's Airshow at The Museum Of Flight near Edinburgh.

There's been a few interesting tv programmes on aircraft recently there was a fascinating documentary on the history of British Airways which has always been my favourite airline (always was when I younger) and a programme about EasyJet Pilots. Just booked a ticket to this year's Airshow at The Museum Of Flight near Edinburgh.

Bravo Euan. Don't forget to keep some cash back for overseas journeys. Planes will get you to birds you never dreamed existed.

John

This year is the Royal Air Force's centenary: on 1 April 1918, in the middle of a war, the normally conservative British Establishment decided to heave its aviation arrangements - both Royal Navy and British Army had air arms - into the middle distance and create the world's first independent air force. There are a number of events taking place but for my money we may have already had the best celebration with the Shuttleworth Trust devoting its season opener to a celebration of the RAF.

As the weather gods decided to smile on their efforts I have a few snaps to share out of a very considerable album on Flickr. Rather than march chronologically through history the aircraft are presented simply in the order they displayed.

John

1. Avro Lancaster B1
2. Scottish Aviation Bulldog and Avro Tutor - ancient and modern(ish) the Tutor being a 1930s pilot trainer and the Bulldog its equivalent from the 1970s to just after 2000.
3. Hawker Hurricane Mk I
4 and 5. Sopwith Camel (this was the first time I had ever seen a Camel in the air, very close to a megatick!)

Attachments

• 20180506 (29)_PA474_Avro_Lancaster_B1.JPG
    20180506 (29)_PA474_Avro_Lancaster_B1.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180506 (83)_Scottish_Aviation_Bulldog_and_Avro_Tutor.JPG
    20180506 (83)_Scottish_Aviation_Bulldog_and_Avro_Tutor.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20180506 (104)_P3717_Hawker_Hurricane_Mk_I.JPG
    20180506 (104)_P3717_Hawker_Hurricane_Mk_I.JPG
    71.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180506 (132)_D1851_Sopwith_Camel.JPG
    20180506 (132)_D1851_Sopwith_Camel.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180506 (139)_D1851_Sopwith_Camel.JPG
    20180506 (139)_D1851_Sopwith_Camel.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Part 2 (of 2) and more variety plus some aircraft whose designs pre-date the RAF's existence. Hope you enjoy the show - I did!

John

1. Slingsby T21B glider. Many Air Cadets will have got their first taste of real flying (in a cockpit and even hands-on, rather than in a metal tube en route Costa sp) in a Slingsby glider of some kind and this would have been the model for some of them. Me, I'm not sure about the whole gliding thing and that cockpit looks quite exposed....

2. No RAF celebration could possibly be complete without a Spitfire and this one has accompanied my airshow-going down the last fifty years, on many occasions in the hands of the late great Ray Hanna who, when I was still in short trousers, led the Red Arrows in their original Gnats before a long and distinguished career as a warbird pilot responsible, among other things, for taking a Spitfire under a bridge for Piece of Cake and the legendary low run over Alain de Cadenet seen on this thread recently. MH434 is an old friend and one of which I've been trying to take the definitive photo for many years: finally I think I'm getting close.

3. Bristol Boxkite. A pre-World War One design that served the RFC as a pilot trainer. This is an accurate replica built for the film Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Even that means this aeroplane is over fifty years old....

4. Avro Triplane IV, also built for Those Magnificent Men and, as the legend below the pilot reveals, the mount of Sir Percy Ware-Armitage maintained by "Manservant/Mechanic" Courtney - Terry Thomas and Eric Sykes, respectively.

5. This is not a replica (though there may be something of "Grandfather's Axe" about it): the Blackburn Monoplane Type D dates from 1912, so it is 106 years old, and it still flies.

Attachments

• 20180506 (148)_WJ306_Slingsby_T21B.JPG
    20180506 (148)_WJ306_Slingsby_T21B.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 56
  • 20180506 (153)_MH434_Supermarine_Spitfire_IXB.JPG
    20180506 (153)_MH434_Supermarine_Spitfire_IXB.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20180506 (173)_Bristol_Boxkite.JPG
    20180506 (173)_Bristol_Boxkite.JPG
    143.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20180506 (181)_Avro_Triplane.JPG
    20180506 (181)_Avro_Triplane.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180506 (192)_Blackburn_1912_Monoplane.JPG
    20180506 (192)_Blackburn_1912_Monoplane.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 55
Hi John
Great photos as ever. I was one of those air cadets whose introduction to flying was in a Slingsby glider. A day goal hanging, waiting for conditions to improve, then catapulted into the blue with the wind whistling around the open cockpit. Magic! Kev Wilson (now warden of Gib Point) was also there and was lucky enough to have a longer flight involving a few aerobatics. He was a little shell-shocked on landing!
Will be at Yeovilton on July 7ty. Maybe see you there?
Mark

Last edited:
Hi John
Great photos as ever. I was one of those air cadets whose introduction to flying was in a Slingsby glider. A day goal hanging, waiting for conditions to improve, then catapulted into the blue with the wind whistling around the open cockpit. Magic! Kev Wilson (now warden of Gib Point) was also there and was lucky enough to have a longer flight involving a few aerobatics. He was a little shell-shocked on landing!
Will be at Yeovilton on July 7ty. Maybe see you there?
Mark

Maybe... My airshow schedule from now is Shuttleworth again (today) then RIAT and Flying Legends the same weekend in July, leading immediately into Farnborough (for which I am not paying to go in, it's not what it used to be): however, unless the birds improve, I might add Yeovilton as well.

Nice reminiscence about gliding!

Cheers

John

Sprawk.......

Norf Eeest London!.......It just appeared ''out-a fin'' air. ;)

Attachments

• P1730718.jpeg   It just appeared out of fin air. 2..jpg
    P1730718.jpeg It just appeared out of fin air. 2..jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 87
Part 2 (of 2) and more variety plus some aircraft whose designs pre-date the RAF's existence. Hope you enjoy the show - I did!

John

1. Slingsby T21B glider. Many Air Cadets will have got their first taste of real flying (in a cockpit and even hands-on, rather than in a metal tube en route Costa sp) in a Slingsby glider of some kind and this would have been the model for some of them. Me, I'm not sure about the whole gliding thing and that cockpit looks quite exposed....

2. No RAF celebration could possibly be complete without a Spitfire and this one has accompanied my airshow-going down the last fifty years, on many occasions in the hands of the late great Ray Hanna who, when I was still in short trousers, led the Red Arrows in their original Gnats before a long and distinguished career as a warbird pilot responsible, among other things, for taking a Spitfire under a bridge for Piece of Cake and the legendary low run over Alain de Cadenet seen on this thread recently. MH434 is an old friend and one of which I've been trying to take the definitive photo for many years: finally I think I'm getting close.

3. Bristol Boxkite. A pre-World War One design that served the RFC as a pilot trainer. This is an accurate replica built for the film Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines. Even that means this aeroplane is over fifty years old....

4. Avro Triplane IV, also built for Those Magnificent Men and, as the legend below the pilot reveals, the mount of Sir Percy Ware-Armitage maintained by "Manservant/Mechanic" Courtney - Terry Thomas and Eric Sykes, respectively.

5. This is not a replica (though there may be something of "Grandfather's Axe" about it): the Blackburn Monoplane Type D dates from 1912, so it is 106 years old, and it still flies.

My God!!! That Spitfire photo is the best I have ever seen, so crystal clear and banking superbly - the perfect angle to display its so-sexy profile.:t:

Don't know how frequently these are seen in the UK......but it was a 1st for me!....albeit not it's avian counterpart. Three in a line over the house this am...Trump that! ;)

Attachments

• P1750084.jpeg  US Osprey 1..jpg
    P1750084.jpeg US Osprey 1..jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 45
don't think I have ever seen an Osprey (of the Bell Boeing type) in the U.K.

Have to assume that they are scarce visitors to these parts, as were these 9 Merlins over Wanstead Flats yesterday marking the RAF Centenary. :t:

Attachments

• P1750041.jpeg  Merlins 1..jpeg
    P1750041.jpeg Merlins 1..jpeg
    64.3 KB · Views: 33
don't think I have ever seen an Osprey (of the Bell Boeing type) in the U.K.

There are some based at Mildenhall, special ops types. This week was the first time I'd seen the HMX-1 Marine One bunch though ;)

John

USAF CV-22 Osprey, based RAF MIldenhall.

Attachments

• 001_20170531 (99)_0057_Bell-Boeing_CV22_Osprey.JPG
    001_20170531 (99)_0057_Bell-Boeing_CV22_Osprey.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 53

Users who are viewing this thread

Back