• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone else like Birds AND planes? (3 Viewers)

Is it one of these Ken? “Last year, BAE Systems was awarded a four-year £42 million contract from the Ministry of Defence for the support of the fleet of four BAE 146 aircraft operated by 32 (The Royal) Squadron from RAF Northolt in West London.”

Dead on, Richard, good ID!

John
Looks like you've nailed it Richard if Johns anything to go by!(y) Does that mean I've seen 25% of the UK population in one shutterburst?
:)

Boeing 737,

you still won't get me on one of these just yet.

As an aside, in the image at the article, the GOL aircraft has a slightly different tail (last bit of the body) detail to the rest, seems more simplistic, what's going on there?
According to http://www.b737.org.uk/737maxdiffs.htm, the 737 MAX APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) is still a Honeywell 131-9 but is updated to series 41 which has various minor improvements such as improved starting reliability. Externally, the tailcone has been extended 43 inches for streamlining.

I take that to mean that the APU fitted went from series 40 to series 41 during 737 MAX production and so the tailcone external appearance changed.
MJB

According to http://www.b737.org.uk/737maxdiffs.htm, the 737 MAX APU (Auxiliary Power Unit) is still a Honeywell 131-9 but is updated to series 41 which has various minor improvements such as improved starting reliability. Externally, the tailcone has been extended 43 inches for streamlining.

I take that to mean that the APU fitted went from series 40 to series 41 during 737 MAX production and so the tailcone external appearance changed.
MJB
Thank you Sir.

I noted this story on the BBC News website (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-55446454), but I didn't recognise one of the aircraft's name and model designation, and so I looked it up. ("Meanwhile, the US ski-equipped Basler aircraft flew 2,200km from the US McMurdo research station to Australia's Wilkins Aerodrome to pick up an Australian doctor.).
Here's the aircraft. I think its ancestry goes back almost 90 years...00 C47 derivative.jpg
Basler BT-67
MJB

A couple of decommisioned aircraft, standing on a traffic island near Chiang Kai Shek airport in Taipai, Taiwan, what are they and apologies for the rather incomplete second shot.

There was also a very disappointing sign at check in when I got back to Bangkok, on the grounds of discrimination of course ;)

Attachments

• SDC10106.JPG
    SDC10106.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 13
  • SDC10105.JPG
    SDC10105.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 13
  • 103.JPG
    103.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 13
North American F-86F(? - not certain of mark) Sabre and McDonnel Douglas RF-101 Voodoo (photo-reconnaisance version - camera port just visible at left of pic) of RoCAF.

Last edited:
I've been on airlines where all the engines look like this, all the time.......

I've seen a few aircraft like that from countries whose aircraft engine life was appreciably shorter than in the West...

From looking at videos shot from the ground and taking the timing of the event as accurate from flight tracking websites (19 minutes), I suspect the crew had already identified a problem before the engine disintegrated (the disintegration was 'contained' in that no blades from any set penetrated the pressurised cabin). The aircraft was about 5000 feet above the ground (Denver is 5400 feet above sea level), yet it was in level flight: 19 minutes after take-off, it should have been at cruise altitude of 35000 feet (typical for the B-777). The aircraft would have had to vent fuel to get down to maximum permissible landing weight, which for Denver, would probably be less than at sea level (Denver's lower air density = longer landing run from higher approach speed at high Max PLW). From Boeing's website: "Boeing's general recommendation is to jettison fuel above 5000 to 6000 feet whenever possible, although there is no restriction on jettisoning at lower altitudes if considered necessary by the flight crew."

The B-777 has excellent single-engine flight characteristics and so can land almost as normally as with both engines working, but crosswind tolerances are lower and reverse thrust available from only one engine probably needs very careful application!
MJB

The B-777 has excellent single-engine flight characteristics and so can land almost as normally as with both engines working, but crosswind tolerances are lower and reverse thrust available from only one engine probably needs very careful application!
MJB
All grounded, at least those with the Pratt and Whitney engines.

Anyone got a scary stories to share?

The only time I've really had brown trousers, was on an Air Asia flight from KL to Vientian in Laos. As we took off, still climbing sharply, the was suddenly the very obvious smell of burning, I looked at my travelling companion and said 'that's not good'. Within seconds and still climbing sharply, worried flight attendants emerged from the galley. The started to move down the cabin, holding their hands to each overhead locker, obviously feeling for a heat source, I was not happy at this point!

I expected that with even the slightest chance of an onboard, mid-air fire, the pilot would have us on the ground asap but he flew on for forty minutes or so before it was announced that we were turning back to KL. I can only assume that having satisfied themselves that whatever it was, was minor, it was a financial logistical decision to turn around at what was about the half way point in the journey with KL being their 'home', any repairs would presumably be cheaper to carry out?

An amusing footnote to this, is that there were a lot of middle aged French people on board who couldn't speak English, evidenced in their confusion at KL upon our return. They clearly hadn't understood the onbaoard annoncement and thought we were in Laos.

Skydiving back in '93 at Zephyrhills, Florida we climbed into the trusty ole DC3 and began to climb to our target of c13500ft. What seemed very shortly afterwards we're told to get the f out as there was an engine problem, so hop n pop at c2500ft and all out safely....unfortunately not the poor cow the plane crashed into as it slid thru a couple of fields to a halt.....😬 The good old days!! 😂

Nearly forgot about this!.....got caught up on the birding side of things. Flew over the drum last week, clearly military transport....but I thought (size illusion) bit on the small side?

Cheers
This is my favourite aircraft to fly on but they're sadly uncommon on commercial routes these days. I flew from Auckland to Christchurch in NZ on one of those belonging to the now defunct Ansett NZ.

There's a 146 on their Wiki page.

Also, a trivia question that may come up in the future for someone, I seem to remmber that it was one of these that flew Lady Diana's body back to the UK from France.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back